Guests names and country of origin

Mark29
Level 1
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Guests names and country of origin

Is it reasonable to request guests names and their country/city of origin. This would be the case when somebody else is making the reservation.

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Mark29, no one else should be making the reservation. Third-party bookings are not condoned by AirBnB  (other than for Business bookings). 

Guests themselves must make the reservation, and their names (at least the first name in the beginning) are visible in their profiles.

If someone requests to book the listing, ask them to provide appropriate ID if they haven't already done so. 

I recommend that you include a Security Deposit in your conditions, and that you post a picture of yourself on your profile. This helps guests to get a sense of the person to whom they're trusting their well-being for a period of time. 🙂

Mark29
Level 1
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Hi Donna,

thanks  so much for your quick reply and input. It just didn't seem right anyway, somebody else acting as a 'agent'.  There were 2 cases recently and the people/guests involved didn't really want to engage in conversation 'take it or leave it attitude', profiles also one liners.  As I get a little more experience i see that many of the functions in the system actually have a purpose. Thanks again.

Another good point, re a deposit. Does AirBNB provide that service too?
I will definitely request deposits from now on. And provide a selfie.

Regards

Mark

@Mark29,

Mark, you cannot request a deposit, Airbnb will collect the funds for you. You need to start reading up on how the bookings and payments system is meant to operate.

Plus, transparency and integrity begins with you. Your current profile picture is misleading and needs to be updated.

Sincere Regards, Christine.

Mark29
Level 1
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Hi Christine,

thanks for your response. 

I do understand the bookings and payments system.

My real question was related to third party reservations.

The party making a reservation for others takes responsibility for the actions of the guests. OK ! Airbnb have that covered and it shouldn't be done. 'Against the rules' as it was pointed out to me.

In more than 2 cases new members with little or no profile were attempting to make reservations for others that they knew ( or  didn't know ). It's not clear to me, due to the lack of profile detail whether the member was reliable and more to the point if the guests were as well. I would much rather stop any potential misuse of my place before an incident. Eg. Recently a new member was attempting to book my place for a weekend for a bridal shower with 30 girls. I only found out after some e-mail ping pong. As a protection now, if a potential guest has a pretty flimsy profile I request more detail and if I am still not satisfied ask who will be the actual guests and the purpose of the stay.  Gently of course.

Further, there is a kind of 'hotel/motel' attitude with some. ( not talking about my guests ). This really misses the point, I think, of the whole Airbnb concept of involvement. Having siad that, all the people who have stayed with me have been courteous, respectful and very pleasant. The others have fallen off the radar.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mark