Guests not reading listing and giving less stars in reviews

Hitomi3
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Guests not reading listing and giving less stars in reviews

I would like to know how other hosts are dealing with guests not reading your listings/rules properly.

As I hosted more guests, I have noticed many of them don't read the listing and rules properly, even though I added a couple sentences both in the top of the listing and the section where they must agree right before booking.

My guest room is facing a busier road and can get loud. So I write that on the listing very clearly and tell them I provide earplugs, but it's not suitable for light sleepers. Recently, I've had a couple guests complaining about the noise and reducing stars in their reviews. The most recent guest gave me a 4 star on Accuracy and pointed out "noise" in the improvement area. I mean, I had fully listed that and she didn't read it. I don't know how I can improve in this situation.

Questions:

1. How do you deal with guests not reading your listing/rules/manuals? Any suggestion to prevent this?

2. Have you been able to get it corrected by Airbnb if it's due to the guest not reading your listing?

I never got anything less than 4 stars, so it's not the end of the world, but it does get frustrating when I honestly disclose potential flaws that they may experience and they reduce rating because they didn't read it.

34 Replies 34
Noelle25
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Yes. This happens to me! It is very annoying!! I have noticed that actually writing in the message after the first greeting the most common complaints or copy and paste your sentence to each guest in each private message letting them know about the noise, or in my case a small bathroom, works a little bit!

This has only happened to me once, and seemed so absurd.  The guest gave me four stars, and a mini novel of private complaints. 

He was astonished to learn it was close to the train line, and in an estate requiring him to make a turn off of a busy road to enter. These factors were addressed in 'things to know'.  He claimed that the term 'private bath' in the title was inaccurate, as the room lacked a bathtub  (the photos and ad showed just a shower.)

But the most hilarious was that he claimed he felt uncomfortable by "a presence" in the room next door. The ad states that it is a room in our home where we live. He arrived much later than the agreed time, and we were already in bed, and he was gone before I left the bedroom both mornings, so we never met. 

As he booked with less than 24 hours notice, I mentioned that we had a busy weekend, and would not be around much. 

Anyway, he claimed he felt disturbed by 'the presence' and suspected we rented out the other bedroom without his consent (even though the ad states that it is OUR HOME and he is renting one room in a shared apartment where the hosts live.) He expressed worry about his things being stolen (despite being provided with a key to lock his room, also outlined in the ad).

I wish there was a way to inform other hosts about guests like this. 

Trey10
Level 2
SF, CA

This was a helpful thread. I have the same issue (noise) and though I put it in the description and in the listing, I still get a complaint occasionally. The last was from a 'superhost' who stayed with us one night. She noted "noise' on her accuracy... we also provide ear plugs and a noise canceling machine (though frankly, I think it's not that loud). It annoyed me that even a superhost can't or won't read and then dings you on a review. (she also commented that it wasn't an entire space, but it's listed as a private room and priced accordingly. 

Anyway, I think we'll change our confirmation message to note a few things like "READ THE LISTING" and about the noise

Thanks

Gabriele217
Level 2
Waterloo, NY

Guests don’t seem to read when booking, they don’t listen when you walk them through and they don’t look in the binder that you provide for them.   I have had wonderful guests but I also had some that were nasty.  Dirty, messy and disrespectful of rules and property.  I will give it some more time but I’m really not sure how much longer I want todo this.

Dougie-And-Suzanne0
Level 2
Fort William, GB

yes this is one that annoys me , we clearly state that our room on air bnb is not self catering , but they still come into our home and ask us if they can use the kitchen or the washing machine and have showers at crazy hours when it clearly states quiet time after 11 pm and strictly no use of kitchen, you feel if you dont allow their requests they are going to give you negative reviews