Guests that request unavailable dates

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Guests that request unavailable dates

Guests frequently send to me a booking request for available dates, with a message requesting other dates they actually want, even though they are clearly not available. Of course i decline the request and explain the dates are taken, but will then be penalised by the Airbnb "search algorithm" for declining guests. My reason for declining, "guest is asking for dates that are not available" has been removed and I am forced to look like the bad guy.

Airbnb, can you please restore the "guest is asking for dates that are not available" and ignore them in the search algorithm. Anyone had similar experience or solutions? 

19 Replies 19
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Steven65  In order for a guest to enquire for any dates they need to actually input dates which are available in line with your booking restrictions re: minimum nights. I would tell them their requested dates are unavailable but you are approving the dates they HAVE enquired about. 🙂

I could approve the dates they have requested. But it seems very cumbersome and rude to accept money, enter a contract,  knowing they have to cancel.   I would prefer the option to decline, with no penalty. 

@Steven65 wrote:

I could approve the dates they have requested. But it seems very cumbersome and rude to accept money, enter a contract,  knowing they have to cancel.   I would prefer the option to decline, with no penalty. 

No. What is rude is random strangers sending requests for dates that they don't actually want. We, as hosts, are penalized for declines, so the only option is to accept. They have 48 hours to cancel the reservation without penalty, so it won't hurt them financially.

@Steven65 

The point was, that you fulfilled to confirm for the actual request sent. You have fulfilled your obligations entirely. If the guests are asking to book unavailable dates then there should be no problem in them cancelling... they were the ones asking for unavailable dates. 

A sensible guest would enquire in these circumstances and not request to book. The request to book is a request to book - not an enquiry.

There are lots of things hosts are forced to do against an illogical system, if the onus is put onto guests for their stupidity and they complain to Airbnb then something will be done about it. A host complaining will get nothing done.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Steven65 There is a difference between a booking request and an inquiry.

If it is an inquiry all you have to do is send the guest a message letting them know that those dates are not available. The message counts as your response and you do not need to "pre-approve" or "decline."

If it is a booking request the guests has given their credit card info and once you click accept their card will be charged. Why people give up their CC info for a purchase (the selected incorrect dates) they do not want is beyond me. If I were you, I would say: "Unfortunately, the dates indicated in your message are not available but the dates that you selected as part of your booking request are. I would be happy to approve your selected dates and reservation will be confirmed and your credit card charged. If you do not wish to reserve these dates please withdraw your request by X time today."

The guest will likely withdraw their request pretty fast and you will not need or approve or decline.

Steven65
Level 10

Hi @Emilia42 It appears, guests confuse the inquiry and booking request. I totally agree, it seems nuts that they would commit to pay for dates they dont need (i certainly wouldnt). 

Your suggested message is good, thank you.  I would still prefer the option to decline without penalty - perhaps British politeness gone mad - but it doesnt feel right to me to ask them to withdraw the request by a deadline or accept a clearly incorrect booking request  

@Steven65 They do have an option, though: they could refrain from contacting you in the first place when they see the dates they want aren't available. I get these requests too, and it's annoying. I don't think there is anything rude about what @Emilia42 suggests.

And I hear what you're saying regarding there being a no-penalty and a penalty version, but surely, everyone would just select no-penalty every time they declined.

Steven65
Level 10

@Alexandra316 Good point. I guess that's why Airbnb removed it in the first place. 

@Steven65  I don't think it's at all rude to ask the guest to withdraw the request when they've entered dates that are clearly unavailable. It depends how you word it. Emilia offered you one version. I'd tend to write it a bit differently-" Hi XX, the dates you entered are not available, as per my calendar. Hosts are required to either Accept or Decline a Request within 24 hours, and we are penalized for declining, so I would need to accept, resulting in your credit card being immediately charged by Airbnb for dates I cannot accommodate. In order to save you this inconvenience of being charged and then having to cancel, please withdraw this request ASAP, and if you still want to book for dates I have available, send a new request."

Maybe just ignore their request until they get the available date right. Saves time. 

Anyway, they could just be sleepwalking...

@Vanessa932 A host can't "ignore" a request or an inquiry without penalties. An Inquiry has to be replied to within 24 hours, a request has to be either Accepted or Declined within 24 hours unles the host can get the guest to withdraw the request.

Great idea.!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Most of these are enquires, not requests. I accept them all. Nobody loses out.

Piera5
Level 2
Oristano, Italy

Si,mi sta succedendo spesso,mettono date a caso,poi mi mandano il messaggio chiedendomi le date che sono già prenoate.PIERA