HOA Residential Use

Kelly1368
Level 1
Miami, FL

HOA Residential Use

Hi,

I am already a super host in one community and want to purchase another house for Airbnb in an HOA community .  The only thing the HOA has  regarding restrictions is that the property may be used for single-family residential purposes and for no other purpose.  Does this allow me to due short term rental under the HOA?  The HOA is primarily for collection of common ground maintenance/taxes which is about $500 a year.   I have already checked with the local government requirements and I am aloud short term rentals at this location. Any advise would be greatly appreciated prior to me purchasing this house. 

Thank you,

Kelly

3 Replies 3
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Kelly1368 wouldn't it be safer to ask the specific HOA directly so you don't end up with a nasty surprise? 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kelly1368   Not only do you need to verify the terms of the HOA,  but you can also check with the local government office as to the powers of the HOA; i.e., can such a clause be enforced.  IMO, if the HOA has established that the homes within their purview may not be used as other than single family residences, you are looking at purchasing a long term rental property, not a STR or AirBnB.  Find another property.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Best to work backwards - find out the hassles that are in store for you, before doing anything.