Have you discovered guests misbehaving via social media? Airbnb host and journalist wants your story

Dan54
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Have you discovered guests misbehaving via social media? Airbnb host and journalist wants your story

I'm an Airbnb superhost who discovered, via an Instagram story, that the man I rented to wasn't staying in my house—instead, it was a group of 20-somethings having a small party.

I'm now writing a story for the NY Times about Airbnb guests that are up to no good (throwing parties, renting to third-parties, etc) getting discovered via Instagram and other social media posts. If you have a story you're interested in sharing please let me know!

Thanks,

Dan Crane

3 Replies 3
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Dan54  In addition to asking on here, I also suggest you join the AirBnb Blacklist FB group. Not only are all the bad guest stories posted in there, the group actually tracks down and catches people who plan to have parties. The group have successfully intervened several times to save a host property from being trashed by known party organisers. I would contact one of the admins in that group to ask for their input.

Great thanks!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Great advice @Ben551, and best of luck with your article @Dan54. The issue of guests renting out Airbnbs to throw massive parties - and charging big money for tickets to the "event" - has become a huge problem for entire home hosts. Also, please be sure to include details of Airbnb's little habit of refunding these people for nights not spent, after the host has no option but to kick them out for overcrowding/thrashing their lovely home, and/or terrorising their neighbours. Also, please post your piece here in the CC when its published, we'd love to have a read of it. Thanks! 🙂