Host reviews vs guest reviews

Kirsten24
Level 2
Aongatete, New Zealand

Host reviews vs guest reviews

So we are travelling to Europe in a few months and want to stay in as many airbnbs as possible. As a host I have over 300 reviews but no reviews as a guest. (Too busy running our own Airbnb to go anywhere for the last 3 years!)

Will I be able to book places that have 'recommended by other hosts' box ticked under booking settings or should I stay somewhere close to home to get that first 'guest review to enable me to book places while on holiday?

3 Replies 3

@Kirsten24 I've had hosts book with me that have had no reviews of them as guests. (I have instant book switched on with host recommendation, government ID and at least 2 reviews), don't know if you've had the same experience as a host.

So you might be okay with booking without any guest reviews if you're only looking at instant book places. The only way to find out is to try and book a couple of places before you head off overseas. And happy travels!

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

I wouldn't worry too much about having no reviews @Kirsten24 ...... everyone's got to start somewhere. I'm sure there are many hosts, like ourselves that accept a large percentage of guests without reviews. 

I would like to think that being an Airbnb host with 300 reviews would be a great advantage for you to be accepted. They will see on your profile that you have 300 host reviews, by the way.

We began our Airbnb journey as guests travelling around the UK and Europe, and then later, became a host. The very first host that accepted us, without reviews, was in Paris..... the loveliest guy and most amazing host. I specifically looked for Airbnb's that had many, and great reviews. That way you can be sure of someone with a wider understanding and experience of someone without reviews. 

As a host and a guest, think it's important to send them a detailed message about yourself to help the host feel comfortable about accepting your booking! 

Happy Travels 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kirsten24   Unfortunately there are many posts about negative experiences hosting hosts.  You should read some of the posts.  I have hosted a few lovely people who were also hosts.  Having that in common was a double edge sword in that the host/guest felt it was their responsibility to "educate" me.  Usually their advice was not terrible but also not applicable to my listing situation.  I prefer the feedback from guest/guests more.