Heartbreaking reviews

Ed74
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Heartbreaking reviews

We have been hosting for 3 years and have had mostly very good reviews from over 100 guests. We offer very good value for money but our house is quite old and very typical of the area. We have never had the money to completely refurbish the house but we have done quite a lot of work ourselves. Most people love our house because its very colourful and full of interesting objects and we are nice and helpful people. I used to be a couchsurfing host and have approached airbnb in the same way. We were 1% off 5 star reviews from being superhosts the last period. However our last 3 reviews have been bad. The last guests have asked for their money back and have claimed we did no cleaning at all. Because of the previous poor review I got a professional cleaner in and before the last group I personally did 6 hours cleaning. We are heartbroken because this is our house and we are ready to throw the towel in. I feel that the spirit of this has gone. We are not a hotel. I have written to the 3 outstanding guest bookings to offer them the opportunity to cancel explaining that we are clearly not meeting people's expectations. I am just fed up with it.

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ed74  Sorry to hear you are discouraged after such a long run of satisfied guests.   I see that your listing is not visible now.  Perhaps you just have a run of unrealistic guests or maybe you need to have more communication with potential guests about their expectations.  As Air BNB has become more visible, guests who do not understand how to select a listing that fits what they need, they go for the price and availability.

Anyway, you are not alone in dealing with the downs and ups of this business.  Take care,  Linda

Ed74
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks Linda, I read some other threads and see that I am not alone!

Ive put the listings on pause for a few months. Its a shame because a couple of the criticisms are issues that I am in the process of addressing. A few of the issues raised are just wrong but I guess you have no defence for mudslinging on the internet. I've stayed in some rough and ready places through airbnb but have always taken the price and people's attitudes into consideration. Onwards and upwards, maybe give it another go in the new year.

One solution may be to not read the reviews?

David

@David126 Yeah, that's what I started doing, and also becoming more critical towards your guests can be helpful.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Nothing wrong with a break @Ed0, may recharge the old entusiasm. The people business is the toughest.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Try not to obsess over the 5 stars. My very first guest gave me low marks so right out of the gate I couldn't get 5 stars for a long time. Also, simply reply to their less than stellar reviews with something like, "We are sorry you did not find our home and hospitality satisfactory. We strive to provide each guest with a wonderful experience. We will review our processes based on your comments. Happy travels." --- Or something like that. But don't give up. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.