Hello MONSOON my old friend........

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hello MONSOON my old friend........

HELLO monsoon my old friend......... it’s nice to talk to you again........ it’s been such a LONG time;

.... now we breathe and am just feelin’ fine........

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💧:sweat_droplets::sweat_droplets::sweat_droplets:🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🎼🎼🎼

The skies have been painted in a flat light grey colour, no visible signs of cloud. The temperature has finally dropped from mid 30s (Celsius) to mid 20s. Although the humidity is around 94%, we are feeling fine! The sun is hidden and the plants are getting a quick drenching. A deep and cleansing drink that will continue across the week. Only an hour ago the sun was beating down and the "grandies” needed more sun block whilst swimming, or they were going to have to have a break from the UV rays. 

The Australian Monsoon is late across the Top End - NT & WA, but we long for it for months on end. Here in Darwin we essentially have two seasons: Hot & dry OR hot & wet. The local indigenous, from the Tiwi Islands, have a calendar of six separate seasonal cycles. What is interesting is that the high tourist season is across the Dry Season. But more and more, the discerning visitor is opting for a different experience of heat, sunshine and the beautiful storms that constantly return to this part of the world during the Wet Season.

Monsoon is coming, yay!Monsoon is coming, yay!

What kind of weather are you experiencing in your neck of the woods? Cold and dry? Blizzards? Equatorial? Heatwaves? 

The break from the oppressive heat is fantastic, spectacular! 😍

But by the end of the wet season, I am sick of controlling and removing moulds that want to raise their ugly heads either inside or on paths and pavers. Water pressure cleaning is constant. No snow shovelling here! Lol...

Please let me know what you are currently experiencing, the weather’s beauty and it’s challenges for hosting.

cheers 

Cathie

63 Replies 63
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19 @Rachel0 @John1080

Some of that rain would be nice Cathie, We have had no rain of any description here since the last week in November. Our rain water tanks we use for the garden have taken a bit of a battering and are down to about 30% and we are in the middle of a heatwave.....last two days hit 40c, we have another 40 predicted today and tomorrow, although the the BOM site is still showing 45c the forecasters have ammended that to 46. There is every chance we could set a new record high for Adelaide tomorrow...

bom adelaide.png

The nights are nice though. To sit outside at midnight with temps still around 25-26c and not a breath of wind is really pleasant. There is no TV, Ipads, we just get a chance to sit and talk, something we all seem to be too busy to do these days! 

Enjoy the Monsoon Cathie, you have earned it!

Cheers.......Rob

weather.PNG Our weekly forecast here in F. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John1080

Oh John, the only time I like those temperatures is when I have my 'rock hoppers' on.....Brrrrr !!

Would you believe tonights minimum temp is going to be 82.4f (28c) !

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4Mwhahah! Pull up a good book!

4092EEEF-0F14-4545-A652-8A39F1815DB1.jpegYou call that hot? @Robin4, that is a normal “build up” nightly temperature for us. Add the humidity and it usually feels in the 30s(Celsius). LOVE my air conditioners. My BEST friends during that time.... totally appreciating the COOLER weather!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19

Yeah but that's Darwin weather Cathie....every day is 'Groundhog Day'II

I must say I do like the fact we get 4 distinct seasons here. As Forrest Gump said...  Weather  (life) is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get"! 

We always have the mystery of what next week is going to bring...you unfortunately don't get that....:-) :-))

Cheers......Rob

Thank goodness you @Robin4 live in the hills! Tomorrow temp of 45° is getting crazy. I wonder what Noel will be getting in Coober Pedy? He’s underground house will be a joy! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19

Noel won't even know what the temp is Cathie! Coober Pedy has been having 46-48c over the past week but the temperature in those underground houses never varies by more than a couple of degrees year round......and there is no airconditioning!

You can rest assured Noel will spend what ever tomorrow has to offer in 21c luxury. I have spent some time in those undergrounds and they are fantastic....

Coober Pedy 2.jpg

Coober Pedy 1.jpg

Get out in that downpour and enjoy it....when does it come in? is it about the same time each day?

Cheers.....Rob

Well @Robin4. I think this bout from the monsoon will be short lived, for us! The weather appears to be splitting westward for a developing tropical low> cyclone along WA coast, and also a tropical low near Qld. This is also expected to develop. So as one of the weather advisers said, we will be piggy in the middle... essentially with our weather being sucked in both those opposite directions. It’s actually very fascinating. 

So with probably a six hour window with no rain, Garry will probably throw some weed killer on the weeds popping up between paths and pavers. The minute you blink, something is growing..... somewhere!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

Kevin and I, thankfully live in an area called "The Front Range," where the weather isn't as extreme.

As you all know, we're experiencing an issue politically known as "the Shutdown," and we're struggling with how to express this. We understand we cannot let our thoughts be known, but we love you all! We love you all and thank you all! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John1080

We understand and are in complete sympathy with you.

How America allowed this 'individual' to wreak his havoc on such a decent people is beyond us.

My initial reaction was he has been taking lessons from Airbnb!...they didn't pay any of us Aussie hosts for more than 3 weeks back in November. Rumour has it that 32,000 hosting transactions were put on hold with no explanation.

Ah, at least that's where the difference came in, this 'turkey' has said what he wants the money for....that big impressive imposing fence of steel......not concrete!

John, It's all very well for us to pontificate from afar but, what we struggle to comprehend is that things could have been so bad in America under Obama (who seemed like such an honest decent person) that Americans enmase would craw across a dessert of convoluted waffle to get to a pompous self-opinionated 'fruitcake' like Trump! 

Cheers.....Rob 

@Robin4, no comment. Not sure you understand my husband and me exactly. We all face a lot of challenges and we also have to decide what is best for each of us. We are not looking for covert anti-President messages. 

Thinking of you both, @John1080, during this difficult time....  🙌🏼

We share the same wishes and the same sun. ( this image being a Dry Season sky)

Mindil Beach sunset, Darwin NTMindil Beach sunset, Darwin NT5460B4F2-5C11-48AD-9854-4AE47C77263C.jpeg

@Cathie19 and @Robin4, actually we're not having a difficult time, but very much a great time.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Cathie19!

We've had some wintry showers here in London yesterday. Today we have blue skies and a wee bit of sunshine. 

It says it's cloudy at the moment but this is not true :)It says it's cloudy at the moment but this is not true 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen