Help! Reported a user, but didn't have a block option

Trevor-Jess0
Level 3
Fairfax, IA

Help! Reported a user, but didn't have a block option

So I have this prospective guest messaging me. They want me to call them, come visit my house and to bargain with me. I don't want them to be able to message me or book my place. (We use Instantbook). 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020/how-do-i-report-a-message-or-block-someone-on-airbnb

According to this, if I reported them, I was supposed to have an option to block them as well. I reported them, but there was no option to block. So it appears that they are still free to message and book.

Now I'm worried. Will Airbnb tell this person that they've been reported? I tried Airbnb chat, but they just referred me to a team. (The usual 24 hour stuff). Is there another way to block a guest? I can turn off instant book for all three rooms I guess, but that isn't a great option. (And if I decline a booking request if it's not on Instantbook, do I get penalized? I don't want to ruin my superhost standing). 

11 Replies 11
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I can only comment on the last part; declining a reservation request via regular booking will lower your acceptance rate. However, as far as everything I've read it doesn't count towards your SH status. Back in the day I declined a few and my rate went down to 77% the only "penalty" was a constant notification that I should "work on it", not bad unless you're put off by that. 

Cool! I'll just turn off instant book for a little while then until Airbnb gets back to me about the whole blocking thing. 

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

You can't block, only report.

Look here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-can-I-block-a-guest-from-booking-with-me-again/m-p/1...

I called Airb&b thinking that I was looking in the wrong place but they told me that my only option is to no have instant booking. I don’t want to do that but I have no choice.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Trevor-Jess0 

In all likelihood this guest will not instant book. Because once they do their credit card will be charged, as is. They are obviously not willing to pay your prices based on the back and forth bargaining and wanting to meet you to arrange something off the platform. So I would not be worried about this. In fact, raise your prices for the weekend that they are inquiring about. 

Also, do you have restrictions set for instant book? For instance, you can require that all guests have previous good reviews or a government ID. So if this guest doesn't have either of those things they will have to send a request as opposed to instantly booking.

I do have qualifications for instant book, but first time Airbnb users appear to qualify. This guy just joined this month. I'll look into that!

@Trevor-Jess0 

Make sure your boxes are checked! Not always necessary but in this case you'll want all the precautions in place.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 4.19.50 PM.png

Done! Since this guest is new, the required good reviews will block him from instant booking. And it sounds like I can decline a request without too much penalty. (In case he does end up trying). Thank you!

Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

I agree with one of the responses. If they are trying to go around the system they probably won't use it. Patience helps and usually makes things go away 

Christine Warrington
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Trevor-Jess0 @Christine1081 @Emilia42 @Piotr48 @Jim472 

You can block (or at least I can, for now) by clicking on the flag icon next to the guest’s last message to you in the message thread. (Not by reporting their profile, anymore.)

@Lisa723 I only see report options when I click on the flag 😞reyyy.png

@Piotr48 Yes, after you report you get the option to block.