Hi Folks! Advise my listing please.

Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

Hi Folks! Advise my listing please.

Hello, I started this Airb listing of pure Japanese style house I heritaged 1y ago. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/24686755?locale=en

I tried hosting and it proved to be that 80%+ users are from foreign nationals, which little did I expected.

I started try and error writing my listings for guests from abroad who do not know Japanese way of life.

I want to accommodate more smoothly in my house, and make less misunderstandings.

This house is 200 sq.m and more than 10 rooms inside, listing is too long I 'm afraid.

Could you give some advice to me? Where to be deleted or added?

Thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nakayama0  Your place is beautiful, but yes, your listing description is too long and there are too many photos. And it's a bit unclear how many people you accomodate at once and in which rooms. Some of this might be less confusing if you get someone who is more fluent in written English to help you with your text. It's pretty good English, but could use some fine tuning.

You say you only rent to large groups, and say they should choose which rooms they want. You say the house has 10 rooms, then go on to say it has 3. So you only want one group at a time and will charge per person? You don't want to host only 1 or two people on their own?

Your photos are nice, but 71 is far too many. Your descriptions of Japanese culture as to how to respect the home are informative and interesting, but better left to send to guests after they book. All you need in house rules is the basics-"No shoes to be worn in house", "No parties", not a long explanation of the cultural aspects of this and everything else. You can show them where the slippers are when they arrive, it doesn't need to be talked about in the description.

So pare down the description to the basics- make it concise and clear. Many guests don't even bother to read through the listing description at all, and those that do won't read through all the stuff you have there.

Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

Thank you so much. That is the point I'm afraid. I use Japanese do not use English everyday life, no one around us understand English. I add listing for this year reading translation site, for I have never written so long English.

I will shorten my listing this year:-). 

@Nakayama0  Yes, translation sites can often not be accurate and don't pick up nuances of language and tend to translate literally word for word, not using the proper grammar. It's always better to find someone who is actually completely fluent in both languages and pay them to properly translate if necessary.

I have an instruction book for my industrial sewing machine, made in China, that is completely unintelligible in its supposed English translation. Half the words aren't English words, and of the ones that are, half are misspelled and the grammar is awful. I assume they had some family member who thought he spoke English to translate 🙂

Living in Mexico, I see some pretty faulty "translations" into English, some of them are actually quite funny.  There is a big sign in a vegetable market here, that the Mexican owners paid a lot for, that says "Good Blessure", among other things. There is no such word as "blessure" in English. What they meant to say was "God bless you", but they left it up to the sign printing shop to do the translation.

And a jar of mixed spices that I was reading the label on, had one of the ingredients as "jamaica" in Spanish, which is hybiscus flowers. But they had translated it in the English list of ingredients to "Charity ball". Which would be some kind of fundraising party.

Thank you for response!

That is interesting stories to read but could relate to in my listings...

I'll ask some tlanslation companies for help.