Host Services in Rural Areas

Kevin2092
Level 2
Arlington, VA

Host Services in Rural Areas

Hello all, my wife and I are looking at buying a home for Airbnb and personal use in a rural/isolated tourist hub in the Western US.  However, I am having a problem finding hosting services such as little maintenance/cleaning services.  We will not be living close by, approx. 8 hours away, so its not like we can just pop over.  Does anyone have any advice on finding hosting services in the more rural/isolated areas of the US?

Thank you

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kevin2092 Only advice I can give is don't do it.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kevin2092  There must be some cleaning services in the area, even if they are only one person.  If you can't find any such listings, then I guess you would have to place an ad on craigslist or some other forum.  I would strongly suggest that you also get a co-host....some places require it, e.g. someone who is available to meet/assist guests.  The best case would be your cleaner can serve as your co host as well, for an additional fee.  Also, get exterior cameras.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Kevin2092  good luck. 

I have a friend who has been trying to do exactly this and coming up short on a reliable cohost. Here is a thread I did based on the advice I gave him. We recently bought a place in New Orleans that we will NOT be using as an ABB due to the risk, distance and lack of reliable cleaning. I would suggest instead doing 3-6 month leases on your remote property if you still plan to use it yourself. Make a website, advertise on Nextdoor etc. Have a proper lease. Be a landlord. Hire a property manager if needed. SO MUCH LESS HASSLE.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Buying-a-remote-property-to-use-as-STR-things-to-be-awar...