Hosts allowing major House Rules to be broken for fear of a bad reviews.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Hosts allowing major House Rules to be broken for fear of a bad reviews.

I'm seeing a startling large pattern lately, especially since they changed the SuperHost qualifications on AirBnB. But it's not just here but on other hosting forums for other sites too. Hosts are over looking extra guests they can prove and not confronting their guests and letting them stay free when they clearly have a fee that should be paid. Guest check in way too early or check out way to late and they say nothing. Leave the place a total pigsty and they do nothing or say nothing. Guests bring vistors on to the property without permission; yet you look the other way. Allow the guest to control the environment, rather than the host this one is more related to shared homes than entire houses and appears to be happening to more and more hosts in the last 6 months or so. Guests asking for things you do not supply, but you go the extra mile and give it to them anyway to make them happy and it contimues to happen again and again once you give in once. There's a lot more but those are the bigger ones. I been seeing a lot of. 

More than half of the hosts do not leave any reviews of the guests at all with the bad behavior out of fear of a retailory review. I have also noted that a lot of hosts do not actually understand the review process at all and think if they don't write one then the guests won't appear. Also that many host never leave a review for the guests good or bad. This is troublesome for a few reasons. One a guest rent out places from hosts that do not review at all and have issues renting with hosts that require reviews. Bad guest get to repeat bad behavior at another hosts place without any warning to future hosts. Some guests won't review a host that has not reviewed them first, the logic is if they can't bother I can't. 

For the first 10 reviews I let things slide a little, but not anything major. I also use the stategy of reviewing the guests immediately and usually get a review back within 1 to 24 hours, then I ask about the issues that came up on check out along with any costs involved if there were any there usually isn't, since it has to be a claim worth putting in the effort to get before I bother. This has been a very useful method, so far anyway. I am now at the point I will confront them during the booking stage or when they show up with extra guests issues, infants being paid for, vistors showing up, etc. Reviews be danged. I will not be abused or taken advantage of by my guests. I prove a great place with many extra amenties they will not find elsewhere for the most part. I let the place speak for it's self now. I understand all hosting styles are different, but why do so many hosts allow this abuse to go on and continue renting to the guest or guests and not get AirBnB or whatever site to cancel them and get rid of them? It just boggles my mind. 

The other thing I have noticed is very few hosts actually have rental agreements with their guests. I not only have the rental agreement I get a copy of the government ID. My guests do not really have an issue with this, out of all my guests on all the sites I list on only one has refused to sign it and return it. They cancelled. No big loss in my mind. Also surprisingly many hosts are not aware of the host and guests email's provided by AirBnB to send the rental agreement and ID back and forth via PDF and JPEG. 

So my question is are you one of the hosts allowing major House Rules to be broken for fear of a bad reviews and if so has it really stopped the bad reviews from bad guests? I personally don't see how it would, but I'd like to know what your actual experience has been.  

100 Replies 100
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I had 2 very entitled guests from Salt Lake City, stay recently in my family home,who thought it was smart not to pay for use of my washing machine and electric tumble drier, despite my listing being clear, that a fee was to be paid.

I wrote a review about this pair of entitled chancers and to my surprise my review has been removed, despite me running it past 2 air bnb operatives during the resolution process.

The operatives both said it was ok.

It was not a revenge review, but a factual review to warn other hosts about the antics of these two young women.

How can hosts feel safe, knowing their factual reviews will not be published?

How can we protect ourselves from having such people sharing our roof?

I have 2 more guests staying until my air bnb season ends at the end of this month.

I am relieved and seriously considering not offering air bnb accommodation next year as this year the quality of guest has been in great decline despite the majority being great.

It is the entitled few that you tend to remember............for all the wrong reasons!

Nung0
Level 3
Rawai, Thailand

Hi guys,

Ive been reading lots of your reviews good and bad we have been a Host for almost 6 years and we did have a few properties listed one thing I will say first is you have to run this like a business not an hobby set out your rules and stick to them.

We have our own rental agrreement which every guest signs when they arrive and I take a copy of the passport which is required by Thai Immigration Laws.

We only ever had one problem about not showing their passport and they were told outside the villa if they dont give it to me they dont get in the villa, simple as that and that was 10.30 pm.

The way to look at is this, we get many nationalities and if any one of them had an accident and ended up in hospital and nobody knows who you are or where you are staying.

We as host would also get fined by the police for not having their details. 

Personally I think self checkin is the cause of lots of problems I like to meet and greet my guest.

@Nung0   While I don't ask for ID from my guests, for the reasons I stated in my post above, I have started getting an emergency contact from them. I get a lot of young single women, they go into town and back on their own, and it occurred to me that if they simply didn't come back one night, I would be concerned. Or if a guest had an serious accident, or a major medical problem, I would want to be able to call one of their family members or friends immediately, without having to try to make contact with Airbnb to do that, then waiting on them make contact with someone (Does Airbnb even have emergency contact info on their guests?) when time might be of the essence.

Same as @Sarah0 I ask for emergency contact info from my guest since I host a single occupancy guest room to exchange students. I always tell my guests to also give my contact info to their parents just in case for whatever reason they cannot get ahold of the guest they can call me. I state I may ask to see ID if the guest does not match the profile pic but have never had to yet. Most of my guests need to schedule an interview to recieve their foreign alien registration card along with their student visa within 4~6wks of arrival and need a form filled out and signed as proof of residence from their landlord or host to get their visa approved.

I kinda like that the guest is also dependent on me (host) to get their visa approved in order to stay the entire semester (4 months) - Henry and I talked about it and if we ever faced a situation where we have to kick a guest out, our first call after getting that person out would be to the immigration office to inform them the guest is no longer staying at our residence. 

We have a simple form we ask guests to fill out asking the guest's full name, nationality, date of birth, which local university they are at, emergency contact info, and reconfirm about any allergies. On the form I state if they don't feel comfortable telling us certain information then to just leave it blank. The form is not mandatory but for just in case situations considering they will be living in our home for the next 4 months. No one has had a problem or complained about it yet.  

Let me tell you all about my experience from hell and my now departure from Airbnb as a host due to [guest name hidden].

I made 13 calls to Airbnb and it wasn’t until I called them hysterical because this man was trying to move back into my home after moving out, that they started taking action.  Most of the issues started when my husband and I went out of town and left my daughter to house sit.  At that point, there was a switch in this man, and he lost all abilities to maintain boundaries, rules, and expectations previously set forth.  No amount of discussions could help.

The final straw was that I gave him a written notice that if he could not clean up after himself , I would ask him to refrain from using the kitchen. He called Airbnb and asked for a $550 refund for his last month.  Two days later, this man stood in my kitchen, using my pots and pans, and while cooking in my kitchen and said to me “I am entitled to this refund, I am filing a lawsuit for your abuse and demands to clean the kitchen and you will be hearing from my people”. I lost my s*** and called Airbnb to get him out of my house. 

**** booked a long term stay with us for 97 days as he was moving to the area for a new job.  He moved in and while he was slightly annoying—okay—a lot annoying—we overlooked it.  We were firm and didn’t change the rules. We just didn’t realize we needed to be as specific. As in, “if you use the kitchen, please cleanup after yourself”.  When speaking to a 58 year old man, one would think that would be sufficient. It was not. I needed to give him an actual checklist of what that meant because I had wiped up food crumbs and put his dishes away almost daily.  

To sum it up, this is the email that I sent to his sister two days ago, after a five day ordeal with him and Airbnb:

To ****

Regarding your email, please address me as Dr. ****, as I have earned that title.

Do not email me through a professional service again, as that is considered harassment and a misuse of what that service is designed for. 

This is in regards to your continued harassment of phone calls, text messages and emails regarding your brother, *****.

I feel certain you have been given misinformation, incorrect information, and outright lies.  

Whether it matters or not let me fill you in on a few things:

We changed the locks, as instructed by AirBnB.  **** had been instructed to access the property at an agreed upon time.  He refused to adhere to the time.  When he showed up two hours late and was unable to access the property, he did not call me, or my husband.  He did not call AirBnB.  He called the police.  We patiently waited for over an hour while he gathered most of his belongings.  Then, we were on the phone for an additional hour, attempting to get him a refund, as demanded by you and him.  

The police officer had to verbally contain **** many times, due to his hostile attitude towards her, as well as me and my husband.  He was outright rude, difficult, and demanding.  A trait of his that I am sure you are well aware of.

After **** was finished retrieving his items, **** (my husband) was kind enough to offer him a cold drink.  The police officer had to remind him to say thank you.  **** then attempted to go back upstairs to get some ice.  Law enforcement refused him entry into my home. **** went to get him some ice and again, **** couldn’t say thank you. In fact, he demanded a different type of ice cube.  

As you know, I am a clinical psychologist and a licensed social worker.  I am highly trained, educated and experienced and therefore capable of making a diagnosis.  **** behavior is consistent with the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder, in which there are limited treatment options.    

He was told to obtain the last his belongings yesterday.  He failed to do so.  He has until tonight at 8:30 PM to obtain the last of his belongings or they will be thrown away.  He has not done a change of address for his mail.  All incoming mail will be returned to sender, effective immediately.  

His poor behavior is evidenced as outlined below: 

Since his departure, we have had three neighbors approach us and share incidents regarding him, in which they were quite disturbed by his awkwardness.  They assumed he was a relative of ours and were relieved to know he was not.

While he was residing here, we were informed of a drunken, verbal altercation he had with the general manager of III Forks restaurant, by both **** and the GM. 

My 23 year old daughter informed me of inappropriate comments and looks he made towards her while she was house sitting in our absence.  **** also made the same comment to my husband.  

**** has openly admitted his mental health diagnoses.  

As stated, **** did not take all of his belongings.  It took four bags of trash to clean out the kitchen, refrigerator and pantry.  The housekeeper is at my home now to clean the room he occupied.  He left empty coke cans, empty and full beer bottles, trash, food, half full tea pitcher, half full coffee pot, toilet paper bits on the floor in the bedroom.  When you add this to the kitchen that we cleaned up every day after him, he treated our home as a frat house, never cleaning up after himself.  

He took our dogs for walks, on at least three occasions that we know of, despite our rules to never remove them from their kennels.  

He said directly to me, he didn't see why I couldn't clean up after him since I clean up after my husband. 

He demanded the dryer be fixed, and said he was "entitled to use laundry facilities".  

**** did a change of address to our home without discussing it with us to avoid jury duty.  We were notified by the USPS this was done, not ****.

We kindly stated "make yourself at home, and if you see something you need, please feel to use it".  Paul took full advantage of this statement.  

**** demanded we accommodate his need for cable television, despite our listing stating we didn't offer that.  He insisted we take down the television from the wall mount and install an antenna.  We were worried that he would do it himself and cause more damage, so we allowed him to bully us into that.  

He overfed the turtles in a five day period, causing the filter system to have to be replaced and a full water replacement.  We had to hide the turtle food to avoid him overfeeding them again. 

My husband I were in in the middle of a very small kitchen putting away groceries and cleaning out the kitchen and **** inserted himself and attempted to begin cooking dinner.  I had to ask him to leave and give us a few minutes to clear out.  It was obvious we were in the space using it.  He did the same thing to my daughter and her friend.  He has zero concept of personal space and consideration of others.  

I highly recommend serious mental health treatment for him.  This would explain his numerous employment positions and inability to maintain employment.  I am relieved to have him out of my home.  Do NOT under any circumstances contact me again on his behalf or I will report your harassment to the New York Bar.  You cannot represent him in a Florida situation.  

As I’ve stated previously, Airbnb made the decision to refund a portion of his money.  That was not up to me. 

You and he need to govern yourself accordingly

Dr. Tracy ****

Needless to say, we are never doing Airbnb again. Not just because of ****, but mainly because Airbnb was absolutely useless to us and played kicked the can for five days. I called them 13 times and I received exactly one phone call back despite 13 promises for a call back. 

*[Personal information hidden in line with the Community Center Guidelines]
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @Tracy210

Not surprised by any of your awful experience as the air bnb platform has mushroomed exponentially with the march of the entitled guest cutting a swathe across the air bnb platform encouraged by what we in the U.K. call the  “virtue signallers”.

My experiences this season pale into insignificance compared to your experience as a host and what boils my onion, it is the failure of air bnb to publish host reviews.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tracy210    Oh, my dear, I am SO sorry to read how this played out. 

If I were you, I'd post this whole horrid debacle somewhere prominent on social media and also directly to Brian Chesky. 

Natasha45
Level 7
Athens, GA

@Letti0 - I recently had 2 registered guests show up with 

1. A third guest (no mention of them when booking - I do have a fee for over 2)

who also happened to be 

2. A young child (my rules state ‘not suitable for kids 0-12’)

I was put into a very uncomfortable situation and had to ask them to leave. I refunded them all of their money, even though none of this mess was by ‘my fault’. I posted on here and several people did say they would have let the guests stay! Why have rules if you aren’t going to follow them? 

I also have a strict ‘no smoking’ policy as my free range chickens are allergic (Hahahaha). It is stated multiple times in my listing ‘No smoking anywhere on Lakewood Farms property’ and I have had multiple people book and then ask ‘Is it ok to sit on dock and smoke?’ Ummmmm, no! It’s not. Ugh. 

I think people just don’t read and I also think a lot of people think the rules do not pertain to them. I don’t get it. 

Marian65
Level 3
Villa Gesell, Argentina

I'm very flexible. It makes no difference to the reviews though.

I got 5/5 from a guest who only used half her booking and asked half refund which I declined as she gave me just 3 days advance notice. On the other hand, I got 4 stars reviews from people who enjoyed an extra day for free and were provided with the little extras that they asked.

I Got 5/5 from a group of friends who paid an extra night to be able to check out late (I did not know )and  I received 4*  from a group of girls who asked a 06 A.M check-in and a 6 p.m check out with no extra charge, asked directions every day etc. 

I do the same when I rent my place privately by the way. 

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Well, maybe I'm just an ass but my answer every time is.. ..NO!.  Can I check in  early? NO!  Can I check out late? NO!  Will you waive the cleaning fee?  NO!  I'm sorry but this is my property and therefore my rules.  If you don't like them, GO HUMP!  You get EXACTLY what is in my description and photos.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And while I've only had to do it once, I have no problem at all leaving a blistering review (funny, that was my first guest ever).

@Kenneth-And-Lilia0  I have had to leave two bad reviews and 1 claim. My standard replies are:

1. Discounts: (I never discount except to active military.) I am sorry for what I offer, you are already getting a discount at the current price listed. Read my reviews.

2. Check in or check out : I'm sorry I do sameday booking, so neither is possible. You can rent the additional day(s) if needed.

3. Extra request not listed: (I have yet to have a guest ask for something we do not provide other then an air mattress.) An air matress  is not needed as we have plenty of beds for your groups size there is no need for any air mattress to be made available.

I get a 50/50 booking rate with these guests with these questions I'd say. I don't care, we're going to start this booking off on the right terms, that benefits both the guests and myself in the long run.  

Hi @Kenneth And Lilia  ,

a company like airbnb which imposes rules and requirements to their hosts so severely should not be surprised that we act accordingly towards our guests.

I agree?

Tanika0
Level 2
Spanish Town, Jamaica

I use to allow guest to get away with breaking some of the minor rules but right now I am not having any of it.  I leave bad reviews for guest who misbehave and recommend their removal from the site.  So far one guest has been blocked due to smoking weed in my house.  I encourage all host to take back control of their homes.  Get topic @Letti0

Jj42
Level 2
Fallis, Canada

I am a brand new hoster on air bnb and am trying to get a few 5-star ratings so that I can eventually increase my asking price to a more livable rate. My place is a small 1 bedroom apartment(entire suite) that I offer an air mattress if needed for extra guests (total 4 people). I had a family instant book with 4 guests +infant...even though I learned later that their 'infant' is 2 years old. I had not even thought of this before, and immediately changed my settings to adult only. My suite isn't equipped to manage 5 people! I will need to cancel and am totally bummed out because that means I can't reach super host rating for the next year.

But what else am I supposed to do? Accept the false booking and accept damages from a toddler that I can't accommodate?