House key gone missing - but my guest says he didn't take it

Michelle136
Level 1
Tecoma, Australia

House key gone missing - but my guest says he didn't take it

Hi, I have just started to rent out one of the rooms in my house on Airbnb. I recently had a guest stay, along with his girlfriend for a couple of nights. I gave him a key to the house (as he was the only registered guest).

Our front door doesn't have a switch lock on it, so I keep a spare key in the lock on the inside so I can lock it at night. During my last guests stay this spare key dissappeared and another key (for a completely different door that I had sitting on a keyring on the kitchen bench) was put in its place. I asked my guest where it had gone thinking that he had given it to his girlfriend, but he says he knows nothing about it. He returned the key I gave him, but the spare key never reappeared so now I have to change the locks. There were only 4 of us who had access to the house, my partner and I didn't take the key, that just leaves my guest and his girlfriend...

I'm upset about this as all of the money I made from their stay will go towards replacing the locks - so this was really a waste of time and quite stressful. This is only my second stay so I haven't had to deal with anything like this, but does Airbnb cover changing the locks in a case like this or do I just have to wear it? I can't prove they took it, but there was no one else here who could access it...

11 Replies 11
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Michelle136   Hey there, you DEF have options. I have sent you a private message.  Hope you got BOTH of my messages.  I want to help you so you dont' get frustrated with future bookings and the key situation.  Aloha from Momi, Superhost in Hawaii  #LiveAloha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Janne3
Level 1
Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Indonesia

Hi michelle , i have found my self in the same predicament. I have just started hosting and two days ago i got my first guest. I have informed him to leave the keys inside the unit , of which he insisted he did. I have scoured the entire unit but failed to find it.  I have since contacted the resolution center, and he has refused  to cover the cost of changing the lock. Please enlighten me

regards 

Janne

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

Get on YouTube and watch tutorials on how to replace a lock. It isn't hard. Save the old lock and keys for another door or a friend.

Super cheap, too.
Lauren41
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I was actually wondering if anyone has ever been worried that a guest would make copies of their house keys? I know this would be extreme and we do our best as hosts to screen on the front end. But still I am curious if anyone else has thought about this and has any possible solutions?

I actually have thought about this and tomorrow I had planned to get those swingbar locks that hotels have on their doors. It is only works if you are home and locked in, though.

I have changed to a keypad system.  It has key override incase the batteries don't work but this way you can change the combination for different guests and keep the master code for yourself.  By the way I used to change the key each time a long term guest left (for my rental properties) and the locksmith only had to change the key and inside, not replace whole lock.  Still it cost his labour so not something you want to do very often.  A chain inside is also a must, can you then do away with the inside key?

I also use a code box and really like it. No worry over keys.

I am now considering getting a smartlock. Some of them let you give guest a pin code that will last for just the duration of their stay. 

Do you mean the keyless entry locks?  Yes they are good @Michelle136 but be warned some locksmiths want an arm and a leg to install them.  I got my maintenance person to do it as it was DIY (not that I could install it!).

I have never really thought about it as most of my guests live thousands of miles away. I have three locks on my door.  When guests are here I give them a key to only one lock, I started doing this as most were bewildered by 3 locks and ended up breaking them by jamming the wrong keys into them.  Anyway, I guess it serves a purpose as the two other locks are secure - no one has keys except me.  So, when no guests are here I can use those locks and be secure. Of course if the key-copier comes back when guests are here the one lock would be accessible. Now you have me thinking! 

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

You can get a doorbell with the camera that lets you see who's at your door whenever. If someone tried to return with a key to my house, they'd be met with a houseful of resistance.