How do I prompt my guests to communicate more effectively?

Rebecca676
Level 4
Sandringham, Australia

How do I prompt my guests to communicate more effectively?

Hi All, does anyone else have the issue where getting guests to commit to a check in time is like pulling teeth?

Unfortunately we cannot offer self check in to our apartment. It's a secured building where the mailboxes are accessed inside the building and attaching a lock box outside the building is not permitted.

As someone that has travelled and used AirBnb a lot I understrand the importance as a host of being flexible for check in, and I really don't care what time someone wants to arrive but getting them to commit to a time is so difficult! We live about 45 minutes away from our listing and all I'm asking for is to know 24 hours before they arrive what time they want to check in so I can manage my own life.

For guests that don't nominate a time at booking, I send them a message 2 days before they are due to arrive and often I just don't get a response. For the majority of guests I think we'd get a response to our question of when they want to check in between 2-3 hours before they arrive! 

At this stage I'm considering just renting the property out traditionally because it's becoming too hard - imagine being in the middle of lunch with friends and having to drop everything to check a guest in that couldn't be bothered agreeing to a time.

I'm looking for feedback and suggestions from hosts that also don't provide self check in, what has worked for you and what could I try?

Many thanks in advance!!!

FYI - This is what we have noted on our listing;

"Check In: Whilst we do not offer self check in we are very flexible and will accommodate you to the best of our ability after 1pm and up to 10pm. Let us know what time you'll be there and we will meet you at the agreed time. We'd prefer you nominate a time that is realistic to accommodate your travel plans, otherwise we are 45 mins to an hour away from the apartment and will leave to meet you once you advise you're at the apartment."

15 Replies 15

@Rebecca676 A couple of suggestions to reduce the frustrations.

Remove any reference that you are flexible with check in times - some guests will assume that you will be at their beck & call for check in. Just say check in is between 1-9pm but guests must inform you of check in time as you do not live close to the listing.

Have a saved message to send to guests when you receive a booking. Make it clear that you need to know when they are expecting to arrive as you need to be there to meet them (I do this for my guests). For guests flying into Melbourne I also ask them for flight details in case their flight is delayed,  and to message me when they're on the way from the airport as this is a good indication for me for when they'll arrive (I mention free wifi on the skybus and in the airport so my international guests aren't paying for data). 

And send the same message 2 days out from check in, just as a reminder that they can't turn up whenever they feel like it.