How do hosts respond to angry guests who get in touch after receiving a less than favorable Review?

Anita-And-Bruce0
Level 3
Wearhead, United Kingdom

How do hosts respond to angry guests who get in touch after receiving a less than favorable Review?

We are fairly new to Airbnb and we are finding the guests we are getting through far less respectful of the property with more damage and breakages than we have had to cope with guests from our other site, which we have been using for over 4 years. Initally I have not given anything but a favourable review but some guests left a couple of days ago and didn't tell us they had broken the toilet flush button. When we found it at 12pm we were frantic as we had guests due at 2pm.  Cut a long story short I reviewed them and gave them an overall favourable review but said we'd had to grade them less than 5 for not communicating with us about the toilet. One irate guest phones less than half an hour later and leaves a very angry message. Very unhappy we hadn't contacted them they never leave a place with anything broken etc etc. What would I have achieved by ringing her? The toilet was fine when they arrived and broken when they left and they didn't tell us, it's cut and dried. This guest has stated she will complain to Airbnb and I'm wondering in other hosts' experience will Airbnb challenge us for not contacting the guest first before writing the review? Our experience shows us those people who want to let you know about damage and breakage will do so willingly. Those you have to contact, never say "oh yes, sorry we forgot to tell you" or "yes we broke it" they always say it was ok when they left. So where do you go from there, because if you continue to challenge them you are more or less saying they are lying to you....although it seems guests usually level this at us by inference and this guest today actually said I was a liar.     

58 Replies 58

@Steven313 i think we are probably doing well on this front!! We know guests get a very good first impression when they arrive. They arrive through a gate which brings them straight onto the decked balcony overlooking the view then the cottage is spotless, it is warm we have music playing, scented candles burning, flowers, chocolates and wine on the table and if they have a dog, dog biscuits in a jar on the table and a doggy water bowl on the floor. We have also paid out a fortune recently to level off the car park and improve access because guests tell us this is what they would imporve. 95% of the time Bruce sees guests into the cottage makes sure they are happy understand how things wrok etc. Every guest is asked if they will fill in an evaluation form to help us improve and unless it is a very silly thing or something financially non viable or impossible to do because of the structure of the buidling, we will do it. Most evaluation forms make specific reference to the things in place when they first arrive as something they particularly liked about the cottage.  

Makes me think of Chipping Campden and the Cotswolds in general. The English countryside is indeed special. Being an English history buff, I would have pictoral books on the history of the area. Every spot in England being so rich in lore.

Cool.  Seems like you are doing a great job.  If we ever travel into your area, we will definitely consider your place.  

Kurt29
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

I have issues with some people complaining about the house not being clean enough after I sent a professional cleaning company with a 5 star rating from Angie's list.  As the host, you have to respond first before you get to see what they said.  I am not sure this is entirely fair.  They seemed to forget that I waited at the property when they were running 1 hour late and I didn't hold it against them.  I have a two bedroom townhouse near the Ritz Carlton.  Instead of paying $700 for 9 days and expecting 500 thread Egyptian pressed sheets they should go to the Ritz Carlton and pay $700 per night.  I am going to do a better job of making sure the guests that stay here have realistic expectations before they come.  

I use 600 thread count sheets and not a single guest has noticed, but they're not pressed <]:O)

Tina237
Level 3
Bideford, United Kingdom

Ooh, don't, that made me wince (simply can't contemplate un-pressed cotton sheets).  Polycotton would look better if you can't face ironing.

Hahaha Donna. Meaning you can have 600-count, but pressing them is where you draw the line?

Marian65
Level 3
Villa Gesell, Argentina

I do not even offer sheets and I always get 5 stars, it is because I rent to youths who are the best and positive reviewers. 

Really, that sound like a nitch you can stick with.

I think there are people who just go around and write negative reviews for every host. One lady said my carpet was dirty, guess what I do not have carpet in the house, all wooden floors. I could not get to ask her what carpet she was talking about, to make her look foolish. The only good thing is that she did not write it on the public view, so like you said, I am always going to write an honest reviews, nothing but the truth, and I would not worry about what they write about me. For me I will do the best I can for each and every one of my guest, over and beyond what is expected.

Marian65
Level 3
Villa Gesell, Argentina

I rent my place to youths so when they leave I am wondering what did they break. I do not charge them for what they break and I give them money for the taxi because I love to feel good vibes at the end of their stay.

Mrs--Donna0
Level 3
Baltimore, MD

I wrestle with this too, writing negative reviews, If everyone tell the truth, I think we all would benefit, host and guest alike.

JaNice118
Level 2
Georgia, United States

I would have messaged the guests first. At the end of the day, if the rest of the place was tidy, I would use that to mainly Judge them as guests. Otherwise, consider it as a business expense and move on. 

Robin30
Level 2
Courtenay, Canada

Things break and wear out, my expierence is to say nothing & report nothing on the small things: the only time I would post a negative review is if the they ignore the house hold rules or steal. On arrival and in the guest book, I make it clear to email or better yet text me if there is anything not working or missing. I find you just cannot please everyone, the bed is either too hard, too soft or super comfy.. same bed. I whole heartedly agree with you that it is much more pleasant to host the mature guest. That being said I have hosted some beautiful young travellers.  I definately use my spider senses and decline a guest request if feel are not a good fit. Such is the service industry.