How do you deal with questionable enquiries?‌‌

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you deal with questionable enquiries?‌‌

Answering queries (1).png

Hello all,

Today, I would like to share one of the most reported cases on communication and fraud. There are sometimes guests who make enquiries to negotiate "off platform prices" or try to book a space for someone other than themselves. I’ve noticed that there’s an increase of said requests especially during the holiday and festive periods. 

Do you have experience with such enquiries? If so, do you have any advice for responding to such messages?

I look forward to hearing your answers. 

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

312 Replies 312
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Quincy yes. All the time. 

I don't offer any discounts and I certainly am not interested in booking guests who ask for them. I learned early on that these individuals were likely to be problematic. So as soon as I see that the red flag goes up If its in inquiry I am likely to refuse. If they put that in their booking message I usually respond saying "Thank you for choosing our cottage! We are unable to offer discounts at this time due to the volume of bookings we have. I can recommend some nearby stays if our space does not work for your budget. There are some great options and I would be happy to send you my recommendations for other fantastic hosts in the area. Please let me know."

I have ZERO interest in a guest who feels that our space is too expensive and wants to nickle and dime toward a free stay. They are definitely out there. 

As far as third party guests, we have had those as well. Recently a mom who wanted to book for a honeymoon couple. The couple ended up booking and doing damage. I would like to see more strict policies around everyone who is staying in a space needing to be registered on Airbnb and identity verified and that includes kids 12 and over. If its a booking for 4, I want to be able to view all 4 people's reviews. Many times a third party is a way around someone who has a series of poor reviews from other hosts. We have definitely gotten the "good" guest booking only to find out that the poor guest is staying as well. 

Laura, I think it is a great idea to have everyone staying at our Airbnbs to be registered.  I always ask for the names of anyone coming to our Cozy City Cottage-----but I know I may not always get true information.  

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Celita4, when I travelled to Switzerland as an Airbnb guest back in 2018, our party of 3 were also asked to write down our names upon arrival by the host. I didn't have any issues with this, as there was an option to fill in the names of the people travelling with you on the booking in the first place (which I also did). 

Do you use a form of some kind @Celita4

-----

When we went to Italy in the late 90s (pre Air BnB days) Every place we stayed kept our Passports while we were there.  Really freaked me out but I guess it is Standard Operating Procedure.  

Therese14
Level 3
Victor Harbor, Australia

Kelly it is  illegal for anyone to ask for or take your passport, I know Backpacker Hostels use this practice to ensure they don't get ripped off. But your Passport actually does not belong to you but your Government.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

It's not possible for anyone to know the privacy legislation in every jurisdiction on the planet with regard to documents like passports.  In some jurisdictions it may be 'illegal' to request to view it and/or retain it for a period of time.  In others, it may not be.  In some jurisdictions a passport might be characterised as 'private property', in others as the property of a third party, i.e. the government.  Again, YMMV.

In Australia, as in most places, it is not illegal for someone to ask to view your passport nor is it illegal for them to retain it for a period of time, with your consent.   A passport is simply another identifying document.  Unlike, say, a Tax File Number, there are no special regulations covering requests to view it or storing the number.  Is it foolish to  hand over your passport as security for an accommodation debt or to hire a motorbike? Absolutely.  But is it illegal to request someone do this?  No.

Maybe if Airbnb implemented their Security Deposit in a way Hosts can actually make verifiable legitimate claims towards it, it may address the issue of collecting a document such as passport from the tenant. Currently, Airbnb refuses to penalize the guest even though they claim to collect a deposit. Most guest simply choose not to pay for damages upon checkout since they know this is Airbnb policy.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Kunle5 

You can collect your own security deposit. We do. Often. 

In general, it's always wise to avoid Airbnb involvement in anything other than the booking and payment for it. Airbnb intervention can and does often end up penalising the host (sometimes severely and inexplicably), even when the offence is irrefutably the guest's. Just avoid all that risk and frustration and handle it yourself. Wisely and diplomatically. 

As far as passports, we are required by law to copy and register all passports or national ID from all guests, and enter them into a police database. It's the law. 

Please how do you frame the conversation about collecting deposits. It will be incredible to learn how to engage prospective client in a way that it does not chase away great clients. If you do not mind sharing your drafted message, just the part that discusses it. Thanks

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Kunle5 

It's actually part of the process of deliberately trying to scare them away. 

It goes something like this:

Incoming inquiry or request from "Johnny", a no profile, no history "newbie" for dates x - y. 

Response:

"Hello Johnny, and thank you for your interest in Villa Son Gat. 

As you have no profile or history with Airbnb, and to ensure the villa is the best solution for your needs, I have a few questions. 

First, can you tell me a bit more about yourself? What interests you about the villa? What are the age ranges of the persons that will be staying at the villa?" ... 

Reply from guest: "we are a group of friends aged 19-22 years old, wanting to get way from the cold weather up north and have some sun".

From me: " Thank you for your reply Johnny. Surely you can appreciate that your group represents the highest risk guest profile in the tourism business.  And for that reason, I will require a 1000€ security deposit, which will be returned to you in cash at checkout time, provided that the villa is reasonably clean, orderly, and damage free. Also I will need you to explicitly agree to all house rules and the penalties for violations of them. If you agree to these terms, I will be happy to approve your booking. Thanks for your understanding".

If that doesn't scare them away, then after booking, I collect the deposit through the resolution center, and give it back in cash at checkout time if all is well.

Surprisingly, the house is almost always amazingly clean, orderly, and damage free under this circumstance. Often better than guests who pay no deposit. 

Say what you will, but a 1000 buck carrot can achieve miraculous things 🙂

Love it, incredible strategy. I really appreciate your willingness to share @Elaine701 . I am going to employ this moving forward

So is it also illegal for Hotels we stay at to ask for your passport? It happens everytime we don't stay at an Airbnb in Thailand or Vietnam.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'd feel very uncomfortable giving away my passport as well @Kelley107

-----

@Quincy Is there a video of the most recent reservation request experience for travelers? I tried testing on my own listings but it is smart enough to block me from doing that. It would be helpful to know what is asked for and when during the process.