How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Bedroom.jpg

Hello everyone,

Before you start hosting, I'm sure many hosts look around their guests bedroom and think — would I like to stay here? This way you can see how welcoming it is for your guests.  

If it was an empty room then the answer would probably be no, therefore how do you turn your spare room into a place for paying guests?  

There are a few things to think about, such as what furniture is needed, colour scheme and little extras.  Perhaps you started with a bed and worked outwards or added new things over time rather than all at once.

What are your tips for new hosts and your personal experiences with creating your guest bedroom?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

116 Replies 116

I have heard a few hosts mention wine and have discussed this with my guests with the following responses:

A host does not know what someone's lifestyle is - they could be restricted from consuming it for health and or addition reasons and you are providing a temptation challenge to them.  They could be opposed to it for religious or personal reasons and could be a bit offended.  

As a host, I choose not to offer anything that I could potentially have a guest issue with - NOTHING HOME BAKED! Who needs to get sued over the content of a muffin!!

I provide bottled water, a limited amount of seltzer, and a granola bar as well as a coffee/tea station and a mini fridge.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@LizzieThe bedroom is the very most important room for the guest. The guest needs to feel safe and comfortable. To that end, I provide a super comfrotable queen sized mattress, with king size comforter, high thread count sheets ( in a lovely purple), and lots of pillows in various materials and densities to choose from.  The door has a keyed lock, and there is a smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher, along with escape instructions, in the event of a catastrophe.  There is a huge closet with shelf space, plenty of hangers, 2 robes, and a yoga mat. There is also a luggage rack, book shelf, with plenty of space to store guest's stuff and info on local attractions. There is also a dresser to store their clothing. To either side of the bed are small tables with lamps. There is a beautiful teak desk to work out, that also has an emergency flashlight and kleenex.  Adjacent to that is a mirror for grooming. There is lovely artwork on the walls and black out curtains, plus an overhead light and fan and plenty of outlets. The guests also have the ability to adjust the temperature to their liking.  Frankly, it is pretty darn awesome!

I am always open to guests comments and add items as they make suggestions.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I did something just for me: I made the bed quite a lot higher than normal, in order for me not to get a worse back than I already have from making beds constantly. I love it so much. One of the rooms has a low to normal one, and it is such a chore to make.

As long as you are of normal height it won't be a problem for guests, but supertiny ones I have offered a step to once or twice.

@Sandra126 in the USA, mattresses are now much thicker, which makes the beds higher. My own bed is so high, that I need a step stool to get in and out of it! Well, I am short, but still, it is annoying to have beds so high to get into. It is easier to change my bed than the more conventional bed in the guest room.

@Rebecca160, I had to google american mattress thicknesses and couldn't believe it: 20 inches not abnormal. Or more, even. Wow. Why? Is it because of the overall grand sizes of many Americans, that mattresses have had to increase in depth? I wonder. You have to cut the legs shorter to accommodate all this thickness. Anyway, my bed is not so high as to cause a problem, just high enough for better bedmaking.

@Sandra126 I really have no idea why the mattresses are so thick nowadays. I really do not like it, as I am short and can no longer just sit on the bed. Now I climb my stool or leap up.

Nor do I understand why you can no longer flip the mattresses, only rotate 180 degrees. Naturally, these mean that the bed linens must also be large enough to fit. It is a conspiracy! 

Mad. New sheets needed. I hope that is not the way we will go here in Australia! And yes, my mattress cannot be flipped either, something which has annoyed me greatly as the life will be prolongued. However, this has gone off Lizzie's topic quite a bit, sorry Lizzie!

I like to make the bedroom nicely guest friendly by having lights which flatter for added atmosphere.

I use a foam mattress life extender with various ridges in it, then an ultra soft & comfy non-allergy mattress pad that is inches thick.  I put a sheet over that and then my linens.  I don't like the crinkly sound that the bedbug type mattress and pillow protectors make.  I do iron the pillowcases, but not the sheets as they come out fine if I put them on directly from the dryer.  EVERYTHING ELSE gets high temp fluff between each guest (pillows, comforter and the mattress pad) with a Gain fabric sheet.  The scent is so fresh.

I also have natural freshners in the closets (small jar filled with baking soda & a few drops of essential oil changed monthly, or fill one with Johnsons baby oil and a tiny bit of essence oil with bamboo skewers to defuse the scent).

I find luggage to be a challenge for longer stays and now suggest that guests leave their unpacked luggage in a private hallway where I provided extra clothes hanging space as well.

I also like wall mounted light fixtures so that the table tops are freed up guest space!  I haven't noticed any saying a box of tissues is essential.

I have little day after packs, breath mint, Advil, Tums sample packs that I get good comments on.

The bedroom in my own way

The room that I like most is definitely the bedroom.

I can not stand the “catalog bedrooms”, with the right painting on the right wall, as if they were sets of a photo shoot. In recent years has strongly emerged the idea of ​​the perfect bedroom, overlapped on the real life and culture of those who live there. Rooms often beautiful, but artificial.

I do not like the bedrooms too designed, too planned. They always end up becoming a cross between a show room and a museum. It scares me “turnkey” bedrooms.

I like working with feelings and emotions. As a matter of fact, I also did it inside my house in Milan (which was once the home of tourists), in which the guests and myself were not dominated by the furnishings.

I like the unfinished parts, I like the simple beauty in the apparent imperfections. An old shabby bed has a frankness and a reassuring elegance, even if scratched or with chipped paint. It has a sense of reality and truth that no new bed will ever have.

In my house I put an unorthodox bed, made with scaffold tubes and crafted raw fabrics and an old grain bag at the headboard to dampen the “industrial” effect (you caught the sense of success by the astonished glances of the guests and by the amused comments on the guest book). The linen transforms the bed into a comfortable nest for beauty sleep.

My bedroom is simple, basic. It has not hard fabrics and materials. It muffles the sounds and softens the light. Space is not obstructed by useless objects. That does not mean an austere environment, cold, minimalist or forbidden to cats and crumbs. On the contrary, a solution to live comfortable and relaxed.

A slightly peeling French wardrobe, in which the old colors peek out under other hands of paintin, shows off the signs of time with ease, proving that it has been much loved and communicates a pleasant sensation of serenity and freshness.

Two bent stools of curved ash and a porcelain lamp hanging from a long nail on the wall softly pulverizes the light.

Behind the bed, the bare wall texture proudly left exposed, rather than covered with layers of paint and plaster. This wall (tactile and unadorned) is the centerpiece of the room, in contrast with the delicate neutral colors of the walls.

I’m not chromophobic, but I hate the color palettes, the rules of the chromatic circle of interior designers. I like the chalky whites. The soft grays. The comfortable beige. The soft dusty colors give a feeling of warmth and well-being, like the little stuffed bunny I held when I was a child or a cup of chocolate that I held in my hands to keep warm in winter.

To create a relaxing environment, I insert colors using the objects: a softly colored cushion, a rustic jug full of flowers are a discrete way to introduce color spots.

When I sleep I do not want to have anything behind my back and above all I do not want to have paintings. I need to have emptiness around me. The windows are moments of contemplation, possibly the interior windows that open up my thoughts.

In the hosting culture, furnishing the bedroom is part of life, it’s one of the realizations that at some point you want. It is the most private and intimate space that is granted to you. It’s not just a rest, but a safe haven where you can take shelter at the end of the day. An upgrade of the person you have become, of everything that has happened to you, good and bad, a point of arrival. Strong, but temporary, as is life.

@Emily352  I am so disappointed!! You peaked my interest with you wonderful description I was excited to see what you had!  Wow, your profile is empty - no host or guest reviews or information.  Soooo, given you have made over 400 posts , whats's up, Girlfriend?  Again, I want to see this bedroom:D!

I'd like to meet you in person, @Emily352

I'm sorry, @Linda108, but I can not send you a pic of my bedroom. I no longer live in Milan for a few years now. For business reasons, I moved to Utrecht, but I miss my bedroom and above all my bed. A bed that you will not forget, no other ethics but happiness.

Gabby2
Level 2
Houston, TX

I like a room with a properly made bed with nice linens. I provide a comfortable queen size bed with ample pillows, a quilt, and a duvet. It helps focus the attention away from the walls if you don't have anything hung on them. I don't have much extra decor placed around the room, as I want to keep the available surface space for guests. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

As others have said, everything in the room should have a purpose with no clutter or unnecesssary frills. Having said that, it doesn't mean the room shouldn't be stylish or have a lovely, warm, cosy feel. I am a big fan of using colour and light to make a room feel nice. Lamps are good for an ambient light rather than harsh overheads. Your colours should be welcoming and easy on the eye and maybe reflect who you are.

When I first started hosting 18 months ago, I started out with:

1. A comfortable QS bed with good quality sheets (I specifically don't use white as my home is eco-friendly and chemical free so I don't want to have to use bleach), doona (duvet), extra quilt in winter, and four pillows of various softness and height so guests may choose their preference.
  2. A bedside table with lamp on either side of the bed
  3. Closet space with hangers, as well as towels, beach towels, flannels, handtowels and bathmat
  4. Document holder with free maps, facilities in town, things to do, places to eat, points of interest, walking and cycling trails, tours, bus timetables, takeaway menus, etc. etc. (my guests are a big fan of this)

Over the last 18 months of hosting, I have gradually added additional features and items to make the room more accommodating:

1. Powerboard with usb sockets in it (handy for those guests who don't have an adaptor)
  2. Bottle of filtered water and two glasses
  3. Box of tissues on bedside table
  4. Small dish of guest soaps
  5. Overhead fan for summer
  6. Wall panel heater to keep an ambient temperature in winter (no central heating)
  7. Wool underlay on bed for winter
  8. Hair dryer
  9. First aid kit, including some tampons and pads for female guests who are 'caught out'
  10. Hooks behind the door for wet towels
  11. Sunshade blind in window (lets guests see out and lets light in, but offers complete privacy from the outside) and blockout curtains at night

Thanks everyone for the great ideas - I'll be adding a luggage rack next!