How hosting breeds friendships

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

How hosting breeds friendships

Last Autumn we hosted a Chinese couple from Shanghai who stayed for four nights.

One morning after exhanging a few emails I came out of my man cave and went over and sat in the garden with Chang pu and we shared a cup of tea and we talked. He told me, in Chinese his name means 'flourishing plant or vine' and how he always wanted a garden. Tears whelled up in his eyes as he told me he lived in an apartment and had no access to a plot of land where he could actually grow something for himself. I asked him to come into the potting shed with me and help me strike some Salvias and some Biden for planting next spring. Chang pu was in his element and my feeling was this was one of his nicest mornings.

Tonight I received a request from 加菲猫 Garfirld and 菖蒲 Chang pu....they wish to come back here and get married in our garden!

IMG20181117200249.jpg

I have always said I would never host a party but, here I  am looking forward to this one.

Hosting brings unlikely people together and creates friendships that no other occupation on earth can do!

Cheers......Rob

36 Replies 36
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4, I second Lizzie on this one! This is such a lovely story :-). It's very special that your guests want to marry in your garden!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy

I have been doing a bit of work with a few amateurs around the hills on promotional stuff for the area and I would love to find a way of working this wedding in as an Airbnb promotion without cheapening the event for those concerned. 

This the sort of work that is being done.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tzi1RlpZYc

Things like this are too good to let escape and if it is done well maybe the bride and groom may just agree.

Cheers.....Rob

Joyce225
Level 2
New York, NY

Wow.  That's a beautiful story.  Hosting helps build world peace!

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

What a wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing it with us. I look forward to hearing updates and then the end. You are so right about this job bringing unlikely people together as friends. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Beth80

I will provide updates  as time goes along and with  Chang pu and Garfirld's permission  I would love to make some video footage available to the community when this event happens.

Beth, I am going down a path I would never have entertained before...and I still don't know the scale of this event. 

My main focus at the moment is to give two lovely people a stay they will look back on for the rest of their lives! They are putting their trust in me and my garden........and I don't want to let them down! 

Cheers......Rob

Cida10
Level 1
Bertioga, Brazil

Que linda história Robin , parabéns . 

Estou chegando hoje nesse site espero ter histórias bonitas para publicar TBM . 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Olá Cida,

Obrigado por suas belas palavras. Eu amo todos os meus convidados do exterior, todos eles trazem muitas experiências agradáveis ​​com eles.

Tchau ... Rob