How "smart pricing" is becoming less and less smart!!

Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

How "smart pricing" is becoming less and less smart!!

Hello all,

I have been hosting for over 3 years now and I have been up for any change and new things Airbnb has brought to us but I think smart-pricing is getting a bit out of hand. It needs to be way "smarter".

My listing is in Cancun downtown, while it's not in the Hotel Zone (Beach areas) it is but 5 minutes from the first beach (by bus) and a couple of blocks away from the bus stop to go to the beach, a block from the best up and comings restaurants and 2 blocks from the general bus station to go anywhere in the Yucatan Peninsula.

I have been with smart pricing ever since it came out but I have noticed more and more that it always displays the minimum price and it never, ever, goes up. My price is insanely low regarding all I offer. I had base price of 17 USD per night (for 1 person or 22 for two). It keeps suggesting me to go as low as 12 USD per night IN CANCUN, in a HOUSE with a pool, breakfast and easy access to all of what Cancun has to offer.

I have turned off Smart Pricing and I have noticed how Airbnb has penalized me as I have received fewer and fewers inquiries and requests. I really think that the room I offer is worth much more than 12 USD. At some point, the calendar is suggesting me to go as low as 10 USD per night. When a hostel half a block from my home (with 8 beds per room) is charging 30 USD per bed per night.

I would really love to hear fromo ther hosts and now if this is affecting you too or if in your area the Smart Pricing is suggesting insane low prices.

Thanks!!

2 Replies 2
Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Yeah agree,

My personal favorite is when I have smart pricing turned on, my min price is £37, it sets the price as £42, then gives me a 'suggestion' that I'm too high and should set the price as £37???

It litterally sets the price, has the power to change the price, but doesn't, and tells me its the wrong price.

Stupid AI, its not taking over the world any time soon at least.

Lara103
Level 2
Louisville, KY

I agree.  For some reason it has my minimum for all of Summer, which is the busiest travel time of the year here, but then in September it jacked it up by $70 a night.  Makes no sense.  I think I am just going to leave it listed as "on", but then individually go into dates and change them.  I don't care if future dates way out are that high, but when you put my minimum in July, there's an issue with how you are figuring the numbers.