How to answer an unfair review?

Kathy-and-Brian0
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

How to answer an unfair review?

I'm ready to quit. Please help me answer this review. I heard nothing from this group the entire time.  I went above and beyond getting it ready and I answered many questions.  She stated that she never used Airbnb before, but preferred VRBO. There was a slight hiccup with the door code, but she didn't let me know what time she was coming, just between 2 and 3, even though I asked her to give me a better arrival time, so I set the code to work at 2:30. When she showed up at 2:15, she was upset that the code didn't work.  I was able to give her a whole new code. 

This is her public review:

The condo is well-appointed and very close to the beach and club amenities. Our 5-year old granddaughter really enjoyed having age-appropriate games and books to use while we were there, and the adult kids enjoyed playing cards at the large round family-sized table. We found everything we needed to utilize the kitchen and Kathy even left some farm-fresh eggs from her chickens. Sadly we held back the five stars due to the Master bed; we found it uncomfortable and couldn’t sleep through the night while we were there.

This is her private feedback:

Hi Kathy and Brian, Our family had a wonderful time being all together at your condo. While we appreciated the nice touches, as well as your accessibility when we arrived and couldn’t get in with the code provided, we want to make you aware of something we felt should be addressed. We found the master bed extremely uncomfortable to sleep on. In fact, my husband had to sleep on the floor due to the bed sagging so badly in the middle. I was surprised not to see any mention of this in the condo reviews. It is for this reason, and the noise above (although you warned us as we entered) that we gave only four stars.

I feel so angry and discouraged. I want to tell them to shove it. I know that public feedback is the only way I can respond, so I need to keep it professional. But I really want to let them have it.

6 Replies 6
Laylee0
Level 6
Gateshead, United Kingdom

@Kathy-and-Brian0 it’s odd that they didn’t mention this during their stay and none of your previous guests have mentioned it. Have you slept in the bed yourself? If this is possible I would recommend doing that as it gives you a sense of what it’s like for guests. If it isn’t possible have you checked the mattress and/or bed slats? I doubt they were making it up just for the sake of not giving 5 stars so I would look into it!

As for replying you could just say something like, “Thank you for your feedback. I’m saddened that you didn’t mention the bed during your stay so that I could have put it right immediately. I have looked into this matter and (...whatever the outcome is).” Then thank them once again etc. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kathy-and-Brian0  I'm sorry you're so distressed, but it really isn't a bad review at all- she says so many positive things about your place and your hosting and you are just concentrating on the one negative she mentioned. (I know the 4*s is a hard swallow) If no other guests have complained about the mattress, I might leave a public response like "I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and sorry you found the mattress to be uncomfortable. No other guest has mentioned that issue, so we'll definitely be checking out what the problem might be."

I actually think she was quite low-key about it in her review and polite in her private feedback. She doesn't sound like a typical demanding complainer. I would also suggest that you actually go sleep there one night yourself. Just because other guests haven't mentioned it doesn't mean it might not be time to replace it. Another host posted here posted a similar guest complaint, for which the guests had actually checked out a day early, at least that's the reason the guests gave. When the host went over to find they had already left and read their note about the bed, he found that one of the bed slats had fallen out of place. It only a took a minute to put back, but the guest hadn't alerted him during the stay.

And if a guest says "between 2 and 3", I'd make sure to have the door code programmed by 2. it seems reasonable to me to give an hour window of arrival time to a host- they may not know if they might encounter traffic hold-ups, and when travelling with children, there always seems to be someone who desperately needs to stop and go to the bathroom even though you just left the restaurant and gave the "this is the time to use the bathroom, kids"  lecture 10 minutes earlier, met with "But mom, I don't have to go" 🙂

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kathy-and-Brian0 check-in experience is critical to guests' impressions of their stays (I have learned by bitter experience) and if bad can leave them looking for other complaints. You could have forestalled their bad experience with check-in by making the check-in code active at 1:45. The rest is data you can use. Bed preferences vary a lot, but if you get this feedback more than once it's something to address. Re. the response, I would say just "We appreciate this guest's kind review. We are surprised and sorry to hear that the master bedroom bed was not comfortable, as we have had only positive feedback from other guests, and heard no complaint from this guest during their stay. We will of course take this feedback to heart."

Kathy-and-Brian0
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Thank you so much for your feedback.  You make some good points. I agree that the check in experience could cause someone to be especially critical. Her issue was resolved in less than 1 minute, but I agree I could have timed that better. Normal check in time is at 3:00 and she asked to check in early.  I had asked her to give me a better arrival time once she got closer. She didn't. I was there expecting to meet her, but she came when I stepped out to buy them a bag of ice.  The previous guests had left the freezer door open and all of the ice melted and then refroze, so I went to a convenience store to get them some ice.  She called as I was rounding the corner. I'm not trying to be defensive, so I hope I don't come across that way. It's just that I feel like I went above and beyond for these people. 

So as far as the bed goes, I totally agree that it is not very comfortable. It's a pillow top and not my favorite.  However there are two other beds that I would have recommended they try. I will also consider buying a new mattress.  I've been looking for a reason to switch it out. 

@Kathy-and-Brian0  Well, I don't see that the check-in experience was anything she held against you, she didn't mention it in the review, like some of these ever-complaining guests who make sure to mention every little thing that even slightly inconvenienced them. She was probably appreciative that the reason you stepped out was to get them some ice. We never know exactly why guests don't do as we request, like letting you know when they were close. Maybe one of the kids was having a melt-down and she was distracted and totally forgot. We tend to chalk up all guest non-response to disrespect, but just as you didn't plan on having to run out for ice, there can be lots of legit reasons for things.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Kathy-and-Brian0   Always keep your response professional. "Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and are very sorry to hear about your experience with the bed. This is the first time it was brought to our attention by a guest and we will make sure to look into it." 

I'm a host but also an Airbnb guest, and I have stayed at a place with an AWFUL bed that sagged in the middle (however mine was not the only review that made comment on the bed- there were 4 others) the host just ignored it. 

I would definitely recommend laying in the bed for an hour or so and see how it feels, and that will tell you if you need to buy a new one.