How to deal with a guest who leaves early without notice

Manidip0
Level 1
San Jose, CA

How to deal with a guest who leaves early without notice

I've had a guest recently who booked for 10 days. We met at check in. House rules, access etc. was explained to him and I left him with a house key. The understanding was that we'd meet again at check out, for me to verify that the room/bathroom was in proper condition, collect the house key and to see him off. We exchanged cell phone numbers in case something was needed from either side. After a few days (may be 5 or 6), the gentleman just left, without a message. He would not respond to my text messages, did not return the key, and other residents say that he has not been seen in the past 3 or 4 days (no one kept an exact count). What should I do? If I need to replace the lock, who is expected to pay for it? I am a bit concerned, being a new host. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

2 Replies 2
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Never mind the locks, your guest could be in hospital or dead.

Get in touch with ABB and ask them to contact the guest because he's not been seen for 3 or 4 days and you are concerned for his safety, and "you need the keys back" if he's gone home. that will make it official and if the keys are not returned you might get a bit of money to pay for new locks.

Was the guest that booked for 10 days named Danny by any chance? For his employees? I had the same thing but I never gave them house keys.