How to respond to Guests asking for Discount?

Answered!

How to respond to Guests asking for Discount?

Occasionally, we get requests from guests asking for discounts, when our rates are already quite competitive and very reasonable.

Does anyone have any templates or message you use to reply (accept, decline or negotiate) to guests requesting a discount?

Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Elizabeth1229
Level 3
Heidelberg West, AU

Thank you for this question.  Now that I have read all the responses, see below the Template that I have made in response to guests requesting a discount.

Thank you for your enquiry about the Quiet Private Studio for your future business stays and your request for a discount, due to you needing 40 nights spread over four stays.

There are plenty of other Airbnb’s in the area that would better suit your budget, and there are also Hotels nearby that might offer you a discount, so I am sure you will find the perfect place to meet your needs.

I am told verbally by guests that the Quiet Private Studio “is better than a hotel” in what it offers and that “you should be charging more for this room.”  As you can see from the reviews, I offer high standards of hospitality for an affordable cost. 

Repeat visits do not attract a discount.  The only discount is for seven nights in a row and is 14% which is already reflected in the price you have been quoted – ($111.16 off )

This is a lovely room which people enjoy returning to, so by all means return.  However, as you can understand, the costs to me of maintaining the room at this standard are the same whether you are a new guest or a return guest. 

I have will pre-approve your dates in case you want to make a booking.  If not, then the pre-approval will lapse within 24 hours.

Good luck in your search for the ideal accommodation.

I hope this is useful to other hosts in courteously responding while holding their own.

Regards, Elizabeth

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Lauren3027
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Reviving this old thread with a slightly different take.

I just had a request for a 25% discount for high-demand dates in high season. The guest is also unverified, has zero reviews and didn't bother to explain the purpose of their trip or answer any of the questions I ask for in my instant-book pre message.

I replied as follows:

"Hi XXX,

The rates are firm, however I use pricing software that will automatically apply a last minute discount for unbooked dates. So, if you're willing to wait until the last minute you might get lucky.

In the meantime you might want to verify your account, as I only allow bookings for guests who are airbnb verified. <link to airbnb help page about verification>

Thanks,
Lauren"

This is exactly the kind of guest that a host does not want. New to the platform, likely to expect a hotel-like service, unverified and likely to break a number of house rules. No thanks.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Cristina-And-Daniel0 

"Hi guest: 

Our prices are firm however I would be happy to recommend a few hosts in the area who may better meet your budget. We wish you the best finding a great place to stay!"

I just had someone stay with me who initially asked for a discount or reduction in my cleaning fee. I explained to him I actually had just reduced the price of that weekend from about $100 higher per night because I had a last minute cancellation and my cleaning fee was the same as the fee charged by my cleaner. He left me a review saying nice house but gave me a 2 of 5 on value (and 4 of 5 on location—my location is always raved about, shown on the map, and described accurately in my listing—and a slightly low rating on accuracy). This was also a guy who followed none of my house requests about trash, left my grill filthy with the grill cover off on the ground, left a ton of dirty dishes, didn’t respond to my question about whether he needed a travel crib (I informed him in advance the house didn’t have a crib but I would be happy to get said travel crib if he let me know by a certain date that he would need one) and then he told me when he checked in that he forgot to tell me he needed a crib (I directed him to Walmart, which was open and nearby, for travel cribs or one of several baby supply services that deliver in my area for vacation renters). And if you can believe it Airbnb has listed that this guy is host (somewhere). I even left him free slippers, flip flops, and a welcome gift. I also offer a generously stocked coffee bar, etc.  and let him check in an hour early and leave an hour late for free (he had requested those). So after this experience I’m tempted to just decline anyone who asks for a discount. 

My experience is people who open the dialogue asking for a discounted rate from the competitively-priced Air Bnb rates will never be happy and it's best to decline them.

@Danielle513 and our experience is that guests having been given a discount are just fine. Each request just needs to be determined on its merits.

Jason2381
Level 2
Destin, FL

As a host myself and an avid traveler, I both ask for discounts and entertain discounts if asked. BUT here is the key to it being successful for all. When asking, I point out my reviews which show that I leave the units better than I found them. I do the laundry and clean all areas I disturb, thoroughly. I never use the consumables left by the host when getting a discount either. Then I offer one of my units if they are ever in my area at a discount.