I Understand Why "No Guest Profile Photo"

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

I Understand Why "No Guest Profile Photo"

I am great supporter of knowing who will be entering my little Rusty Cottage in Vermont, and as a host I would love to have a face to the name of the person who is inquiring on booking. I have been hosting on airbnb for several years now and have found out that even with a profile photo the person on the picture may look totally different when they arrive, for example many profile pictures that guests use are when they were in a social function weddings or other events or they used a younger picture of themselves, so my point is that even with a profile picture what you see is not always what you are going to get.

Fortunatly all of my guests have been great eventhough the profile photo they used was of an earlier or different version of themselves.

So that being said I do understand why airbnb has changed the guest profile photo policy, just about all companys make decisions based on the feedback they receive from customers (in this case guests), I am sure that airbnb put this policy in place because of the enourmous amount of discrimination calls and complaints from guests, either real or imagined the numbers of complaints were there for airbnb to make this decision, which they new was going to be overwhelmingly unpopular with hosts.

I am spanish living in the U.S.A. for over 53 years, and have had to deal with discrimination all my life, no matter how subtle it is or was, So I do understand and applaud companys when they make decisions to say NO to discrimination no matter how unpopular the decision is going to be.

I do know that airbnb hears you through this community forum and the company in the past has had implemented change based on your comments and suggestions, I just ask that with this change in guest profile picture, we all understand the big picture of discrimination commend airbnb on their decision and give a chance with this change.

For I am sure this no guest profile picture will frustrate and eventually weed out the hosts from airbnb who practice bigotry and discrimination.

I do know my stance on this subject is going to be unpopular, and there are going to be few thumbs up, however if you have read this hopefully you will have a new understanding of why this change was made to airbnb guest profile photo.

Rubén
54 Replies 54
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Ute42

I really can not understand how people have not figured it out yet.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Rubén16, @Ricardo85

The old profile pic regulations have been working ok for 10 consecutive years in a row. Why are the a problem all of a sudden? Maybe to push instant book and to make booking inquiries less attractive?

airbnb, why don't You just leave us alone?

The company is getting ready for their IPO. We all can feel that with every change they make.

We really do not have a problem with the blank photos, we have never refused a booking on a photo and our place is open and we welcome everyone.  BUT this would only work for us if Airbnb did the proper government ID and background check which we all know is not done.  For that reason we find it a scary and incomplete way to host a guest.  We have been very lucky to have wonderful guests, with only a few slight exceptions and minor instances, but we cannot in good mind open the door to someone who is not checked out by the company especially if we can no longer see reviews.   A person we know open an account on Airbnb with false name and information and has an account.  How is that possible?  Airbnb advertises that safety is very important for their hosts as well as their guests.  They are not keeping up their end of the promise.  After being a victim of a crime, we may be more sensitive to being overly cautious to situations, but if that is the way we can protect our house and family so be.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

So now the following is possible, upon an inquiry.

Guest profile: Hey, I’m D! Joined Airbnb this month (Not even a country code)

Photo: Obviously a grey circle with a capital white D

Verifications: e-Mail, pending verification

Booking details: Date A thru Date B (And of course the price calculated by Airbnb, accordingly)

Number of guests: 1 Adult

Text: “How much for US?”

And we have to spend our valuable time on this?

When we would simply reply with: Bugger off!

I suppose, this could be enough reason to report us to the Trust & Safety team.

So from now onwards, we really have to tiptoe towards such inquiries.

Are we allowed to ask questions, such as: Would you mind having to walk up a few flight of stairs? (As they may be an older couple). As for sure we cannot ask them for their age, or whether they have any physical disabilities (all can be explained as discrimination).

A business should stay away as far as possible from any politics. Even I will not address any political issue, while being in contact with my guests (Me, as meant as a very small business).

Airbnb bended over to an organization of lawyers, which are now taking the next step. In asking Airbnb to address the issue of affordable housing to the poor in society. You can’t really blame that organization for this. As Airbnb took the bait. And they are now on the hook.

Copied from: https://thinkprogress.org/airbnb-changes-photo-policy-combat-racial-discrimination-4f71c375553a/: "Almost immediately after Airbnb announced the changed photo policy, Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, praised the company for taking this step and urged the firm to do even more to combat housing discrimination".

@Cor3  

You are being a little silly.

"Dear guest, thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, I cannot accept your reservation until you fill out your Airbnb application completely. Thank you"

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

To put this Airbnb unfairness to a host in prospective, consider our city.

In Seattle, landlords may not decline a tenant due to a criminal history.

We can not even ask "Have you ever been found guilty of any crime"

Welcome to PC anti-landlord rights. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rubén16@Paul154@Cor3@Robert-And-Nancy0@Branka-and-Silvia0@Ricardo85@Ute42@Patricia55@Helen427@Emilia42@Robert923@Sarah977@Cathie19@Ann72

Thanks for the conversation here and for raising these really important areas. As I'm sure you have noticed there is a lot of discussion on the update to Guest Profile Photos here in the Community Center. 

I've spotted two points in particular that I wanted to provide some clarify:

1.  Hosts can, in fact, request to see a photo of their guests before they arrive, as soon as the booking is confirmed. Here’s information on how to do that.

2.  And if the photo isn't real (e.g. if it’s a picture of a rose or a clown), you have the option to cancel without penalty by calling Airbnb’s Community Support. (We’d also recommend messaging the guest directly before cancelling.)

Also, if you're an Instant Book host you can require your guests to complete Airbnb’s verified ID process. (Many guests have completed verified ID already.)

As I say there has been a large amount of feedback shared and I know this doesn't address all of the topics in this thread or elsewhere in the CC, but I wanted to make sure you are aware of these options.

I am continuing to read all of the comments and feedback shared here. I want you to know that the Airbnb team is taking your feedback really seriously, and we’ll be sure to keep you updated on this topic.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks, @Lizzie.  I've used the InstantBook settings you reference for the verified ID process.  I've checked ALL the requirements but have added this welcome message:  "If you're new to Airbnb and can't book instantly, just send me a message and we'll get you all set up."

I know this isn't for everyone, but since my listing is highly seasonal and my prices are far from low, I rarely get any sketchy inquiries, so I feel comfortable with this arrangement.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Ann72 for your reply. It's always interesting to hear how each host manages their listing and you use the different settings. I'm glad you have found a process that works for you. 

I hope you are having a good day. 🙂

Thanks again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie 

Thank you for the follow up on the topic of the new photo policy at Airbnb.  We appreciate that the company is looking into all the feedback but we cannot, in good conscious, continue.  While we have been very lucky that we have had mostly great guests, the few that were borderline, especially the couple who angrily fought loudly every evening, we are not going to subject ourselves to the unknown. 

It is nice that host can choose what is best for them and that is what we have done.  We have not and will not change to IB.  Again, a preference for how a host works their own Airbnb.  Our experience with a home invasion (before we did Airbnb and not a guest) has put us on high alert and that is something that will not change.  We do hope things are worked out for all hosts on Airbnb.

Hi @Lizzie, as I have said before, I really have not been impacted by the no photo policy and it is not that important to me. However, I do have one listing set up to instant book but where I require a government ID. I have been getting more and more requests to book from guests who do not meet my verification requirement. Yesterday I got 3. I feel as though Airbnb should require this verification on my behalf before the booking gets to me. I do not want to police people to get verified and I do not want to decline guests. I spoke with Airbnb customer service about this and the rep told me I should decline if they don’t meet my requirements but I REALLY don’t feel that this is the answer.

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lizzie ,

Thanks for trying to support us, in overcoming this new hurdle.

But it is trying to fight symptoms here, not dealing with the real issue. Caused by introduction of this new Airbnb policy.

I’m with @Kevin940 here. Last year – in Holland – 7.75 Million Speeding tickets were issued.

The government always stated: Speed-checks were being held, to avoid casualties in traffic.

Nowadays, they claim, it is to protect the environment.

Those reasons always sound very noble, but in the end, they just bring in hard cash!

Also last year, the Dutch police was temporarily on strike. And immediately the news was brought out. About how much money the government was missing out, due the lower number of speeding fines issued! (not a word about additional casualties or increased impact on the environment).

Switching on the options, you mentioned (the house burned down, but you can still sleep in the barn). Are all additional hurdles to guests.

And in case an IB host switches any of these on. Guests will still have the chance to issue a booking-request. And then the whole game starts all over again.

A week ago, I was trying to help a new Airbnb guest. As she was having problems trying to verify her ID. And since she could not get this to work. She decided to book somewhere else with a competitor site.

Is this the objective of Airbnb?

Just a proper automated explanation by the software, indicating what was really wrong. Could have avoided this.

Suppressing a guest profile picture until a reservation is confirmed. Will only eliminate any reason for a host to decline, derived from anything about the guest profile picture (which is obviously not only discrimination).

Even the fact, a guest does NOT have a profile picture. Could have been the reason for some hosts to decline – in the past.

Guess what will happen next?

After some message exchanges, the guest finally decides to book. And only then the host realizes the guest may be a total mismatch to the listing (just think of any reason, you can come up with).

Hosts will now actively start using the 48-hour grace period, to persuade the guest to cancel free of charge – by themselves. A lot of hassle, which could have been avoided very easily to start with.

In case you haven’t read it yet: A lot of guests don’t read the text in a listing.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, @Cor3.  I wonder have you got any suggestions on how you could improve this for both hosts and guests?

--------------------

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lizzie,

I cannot improve anything, as it is not in my hands 😄

But the suggestions are pretty easy:

• Withdraw the change! (It is my – and many with me – impression: It does more harm than good, to both hosts and guests).

When that is (politically) no longer possible:

• Make a setting available to guests, so they can control this particular system behavior themselves.
    Make “Hide” even the default setting (but with a warning, this may lead to declines by hosts).
  • Charge a small uplift to guests, that require more privacy or those that prefer not to reveal their identity. So all involved, share some benefits.
  • Be honest! Inform the host on an inquiry: Whether the profile of this guest does or does not (yet) hold a facial profile picture.
  • Enforce the provision of facial profile pictures, upon confirmed bookings.
  • Allow guests to have a public available profile picture, and a privately shared facial profile picture with the host (of course, they may and can be the same).

All of this, shouldn’t be that hard for Airbnb to do.

I appreciate your efforts, for us to digest this bitter change in policy.

As the whole change looks like shooting with a massive canon at to what seems to be a mosquito.

Actually, I don’t know what triggered, the sudden blast of reactions to another thread on this topic (that thread went viral on Tuesday 15 January 2019, while the thread was already around for close to 2 months and posted by Airbnb itself). I even had to go in, and switch off e-Mail notifications to that particular thread. As all of a sudden, reactions were coming in at a pace of about 1 or more per minute 😄

That particular thread, currently has over a 1.000 reactions!

We can discuss whatever we like here. But as far as I’m concerned: It’s already a done deal (for months already). Even including a released press-statement, back in October already.

Just imagine when Airbnb would now publish a statement, like: “We’ve evaluated the new policy, and we have therefore decided to withdraw it or to make it less strict or something”.

This would immediately lead to very loud protests by organizations like: the Washington, D.C.-based Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

As these are organizations, you typically don’t want to get into a public argument with (as a business). A battle impossible to win without any damage. And therefore usually very bad for business.

What happened to the original idea of trust? I.e.: Hosts accepting total strangers into their homes and properties.

I usually try to bond a little with our guests, as in: You pay me, you treat our property decently. And we will do our utmost best, to provide you with an excellent and problem-free stay. Preferably resulting in an excellent review.

I’m convinced, Airbnb performed extensive analysis on the decline rate by hosts, based on the guest profile picture. Most likely, they are still analyzing the decline rate by hosts – at this very moment too!

Just to get an idea on the possible monetary benefit made by this change (as well as a notifiable decline or increase in discrimination).

Personally, I think it is about the worst decision a company can make: Introducing a change in policy and making it political too.

And on top of that, Airbnb gave this feature away – free of charge – to guests as well!

Whenever the Airbnb App ‘chimes’, 1 of the first things I do, is checking out the guest profile.

As knowing how much effort a guest has put into completing their profile, will give me some impression about the main guest.

My experience is: The lesser effort guests have put into their profile. The lesser the whole experience will be. It usually already starts with a lack of communication. Resulting in me, having to start nagging to the guests for information, before arrival.

Even the fact, guests are sending in inquiries (rather than reservations), already tell a story in itself!

With me: Only 25%-30% of all inquiries, do finally result in confirmed reservations.

And in 95% of all cases, I can already predict, whether the inquiry may possibly result in a reservation or not.

Most common reasons for inquiring:

• Haggling (I really never understood, why especially newbies tend to think, this is common practice). As commonly, haggling will almost immediately destroy the whole experience, before it even started.
    At least for 1 or even both ends of the deal.
  • Silly or even funny requests.
  • Just inquiring, for whatever reason (typically no reaction anymore, after my reply).

In short: Very bad idea – to introduce this policy, and not much to gain for anyone involved! Even more chance to bad guest behavior. And when such stories make it to the headline news, it’s very bad advertising for Airbnb.

Oh, and by the way: You stated, when you switch on the requirement of a guest profile picture.

And the guest does not provide an identifiable picture of themselves, upon booking. Hosts can contact Airbnb CX, to have the reservation cancelled, penalty-free.

Reason: Because Lizzie said so :-D!

Where did I hear something similar before :-D? I even once witnessed Clara Liang, sitting right next to Mr. Brian Chesky himself, making a statement. Which was apparently overruled, just a couple of weeks later?

Reason given: Apparently, it was not that easy.

@Rubén16    I agree. I don't care about seeing a profile pic before hand (although, Airbnb are definitely not even-handed about this when it comes to host's profile pics).  But I do want to see it after their reservation has been accepted so I know who to expect.  I do not want the trouble of turning someone away at the door because they are not the people listed on the reservation and I have no idea who are they are or what verifications they have, if any - especially given that Airbnb do not cover 3rd party bookings.