I'm so uncomfortable with the anonymity of a potential guests now

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I'm so uncomfortable with the anonymity of a potential guests now

I really, really, really, really, HATE, HATE, HATE the changes airbnb has made to the booking proccess regarding the anonymity of potential guests. I now get booking requests from people with 0 reviews, no photos and only a first name. That is so wrong. I stopped instant book a while ago because I wanted a little control over who I allow to stay here. It was the best descision I made on airbnb so far.

I'm supposed to click the accept button for a complete stranger who I know absolutely nothing about to come stay at my home and property? I am having such a hard time with this. Someone please tell me I'm totally wrong for feeling like this and why I should just blindly trust eveyone on airbnb without any vetting myself?

I get why they did this. They think this will stop supposed racial discrimination. There's gotta be a better way. 

26 Replies 26

@Kelly149 You are a star. I do the same.

HI Kelly, Great advice!!! I am new and woule like to do the  Rental Contract you mentioned and manipulate the platforms could you send me a copy of your contract (removing your private infor) . I dont know how to share my email address if ABB is going to delete it here...but I'll put it anyway... ramdialproperties@gmail.com.  I have been having some issues myself and I would want to get more info on my potential guests but like the IB feature.

Reg8
Level 1
South Korea

Many people are new user. Some many people does not want to show their face in public. Of course, there will be many people with no review and no picture of their appearence. So, many new users can book. I think it is not bad.

David715
Level 2
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Yes Reg, I understand your point but since Airbnb is a community of people don't you think we should all have a clear photo of ourselves so that guests and hosts can see each other? After all, we are going to share a space for a night or two and at some point are, at the very least, likely to say 'Hi' face to face.

@Reg0  It doesn't need to be shown to "the public" but it should be available to hosts whose homes a guest is expecting to be welcomed into. If I'm opening my home to strangers, I expect them to be open enough with me to let me see what they look like.

There are guests on Airbnb who want to use a goldfish, a plate of spaghetti, or a cartoon character as their profile photo, yet post selfies all over social media. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I am not a fan of the blank profile photo.  Most recent booking is from a person with zero reviews even though they have been an Airbnb guest since 2016.   Their profile photo was the generic image.  I was comfortable with the information they provided in response to my email so I approved the booking request.  Then I was able to see their profile picture.  It was of a professional baseball player.  I looked him up and it is NOT the name on the booking.  WTF!!!  Now I will be asking for a photo ID at chek-in.  Profile picture should be an actual photo of the person booking the space.  Not your dog, not your favorite athlete, not your car but your FACE. 

@Linda-And-Richard0  I wouldn't wait until check in to ask for ID- I'd message the guest telling him you require an actual face photo of himself.

Hosts shouldn't have to do this. Airbnb should be doing it on our behalf during the booking process. 

@Donald28   Agree, but it’s a futile pipe dream to wait for all the things that abb “should” do

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

Are most people still asking for ID? I recall this thread:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-was-cancelled-and-refunded-by-ABB-because-I-asked-...

The OP, Inna, had stated she had Airbnb refund a guest because she'd asked for ID and that she was told that we are not allowed to ask for ID.  I have not been keeping up with that particular thread, so I'm not sure if anyone since has experienced similar issues when asking for ID, particularly in the US? It seems it would be helpful to be able to do so, particularly with the ongoing issue with lack of photos. 

Diana332
Level 2
Driffield, United Kingdom

Completely agree with comments, I have instant book on because you get  bit of information and at the end of the day you cannot cancel not ideal but you can do it. A local good quality pub restaurant owner told me that my prices are to low, and low prices mean problems. I'm beginning to see that, a guest recently paid £94 plus Airbnb prices for two nights , the gave us xxx for value for money, complained that my husband was xenophobia towards fellow Europeans. It was rubbish he told guest not to park in one of the parking because the woman who likes to park there causes problems, the woman is English.

Kelly568
Level 10
West Jefferson, NC

I am very unhappy about this latest change.  Yes I have turned down bozo’s with beer in their photos duh!  The guests can still SEE OUR PICTURE and it makes them feel good about staying here with me why because I look like a nice person..... Instant book really works well for hotels but we are not hotels most of us.  It is not right either for a guest to not have their profile information filled out.  We do and that is why we get guests it really should work both ways and AirBNB needs to have higher standards again....