Different guests arrived

Adam265
Level 1
Bratislava, Slovakia

Different guests arrived

Hello there,

a girl booked my place for few day for her parents.

Today when I was supposed to meet her and her parents to handle them the key. Only she was waiting me.

She said her parents are resting somewhere in the city and that just she would take the key and they would arrive later. 

When we walked into the building two guys went inside as well (I was thinking maybe someone from the neighbours),

then they went into elevator with us... Then they stept out on the same floor as us.

I led her inside, opened the door, started to explain where is what and these two guys just walked into my flat and started acting as home. I was confused and told her she only booked for two people and there is no possibility to host more. She said that there will be just two people. The guys started to unpack their bags and stuff.

I must admit, I should have do something, but I was intimidated. Those two looked like russian mob (they were russians and looked like mob to clear that out).

Now I am thinking about what should I do.

Maybe her parents will arrive maybe not. But how can I chceck it out? One thing is for sure, I dont want those two to stay there.

Any ideas?

10 Replies 10
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Adam265 Contact Airbnb immediately on Twitter  and in form them that two unknown people came in your apartment with the person who booked the place. This is a dangerous situation that you went in. I would advice you to be careful! Deal and talk only to the person who booked make sure those two unknown characters leave your place asap. Good luck and stay safe!!! 

Do you know any phone number or  email where I can contact airbnb?

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Adam265,

I would agree with @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 about contacting AirBnB immediately.  They will no doubt have some advice for you, but some of that would probably be: CALL THE POLICE. 

That's just my advice.  EVERYONE OUT.  Now.

Definitely get AirBnB on board, then the police. 

Let us know how this resolves?

Best & prayers!

Kim
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

How did this turn out?

I have mixed results with Airbnb in emergency situations.  This is my policy regardless...if I'm uncomfortable, I ask them to leave.  Tweet at Airbnb and let them know what happened.  If they won't leave, call Airbnb and just say what happened and ask for them to relocate the guests.  They will but you may be out of the money for the booking, which is no big deal because you don't want that in your home.  At least Airbnb will definately open up your calendar and you might be able to rebook.  Usually I rebook and make more $$ so it doesn't matter to me!

Lee143
Level 3
Rehoboth Beach, DE

@Adam0

How did this turn out? It didn't sound good...

Did Airbnb come to the rescue? Did you call the police? Did those "guys" stay?

Please, inquiring minds want to know!

A30
Level 5
California, United States

1. Call the police if you feel uncomfortable.

2. We have a policy that you cannot book on behalf of other people. 

3. You may want to install a video doorbell such as the one from Ring; and install keyless entry. That way, you don't need to worry about your keys and you will be able to clearly see who is about to enter your home (and change the keypad if uncomfortable). This will also be useful in any kind of Airbnb report.

4. Definitely file a report with Airbnb and leave an honest review about this person who booked your place so other hosts will be properly warned. 

Please keep us posted and be safe! 

Marco65
Level 6
Rome, Italy

@Adam265

You should never let people other than those who have booked enter your house, never! I don't know from you, in any case, in Italy, if you want to stay in an apartment you must show your passport, the details of the document are then sent to the police. Please let us know the evolution of the reservation.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Adam265  Third party booking is against Air BNB rules because it is a safety issue as you have experienced.  With issues of safety, Air BNB cannot provide immediate help so you need to use your local authorities to address this.  Contacting Air BNB is for issues of the business such as refunds and relocating guests.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Hope all this works out for you.  We are all faced with the unexpected in this business and can get confused or intimidated at the moment.  Hope this CC has provided you some support you were looking for.

Adam265
Level 1
Bratislava, Slovakia

Hello everyone,

thank you for your support and advice.

In the end the people left without further complications. 

They left a terrible mess thought. 

Next time I wont allow trird party reservations.

Adam

Sky13
Level 10
United States

Since this is a TRUST and SAFETY issue, we must all ask Airbnb to improve the booking process. 

Please feel free to copy and paste the below content:

1. Please add an extra step in the booking process:

"Is this a third party booking (for someone other than yourself ex. friend, or family)?

This is a TRUST and SAFETY issue. Additionally, if a host has to bring this to the guest attention later, it's awkward at best, and sours the relationship at worst. Not to mention the time/money resources that must be spent by Airbnb and the host to settle the mistake.