IS LOW BALL PRICING THE SAME AS BAIT AND SWITCH

Maria-and-Jean0
Level 3
Anchorage, AK

IS LOW BALL PRICING THE SAME AS BAIT AND SWITCH

Why are some Host allowed to deceptively price their units with the low ball price during peak season?  Is this not dishonesty?  What do you think about this type of promotion being unfair to Host that are not deceptively advertising?  Is honesty not the basis of Airbnb's standards?   Does Airbnb promote deceptive pricing?  Jean

115 Replies 115
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Maria-and-Jean0

Good question. Are you saying that when you pay for your reservation, you are not shown the total price?

Is that price not broken down for you into a transparent line-by line explanation of host base fee, cleaning fee, taxes and Airbnb service fee?

Are you not allowed review of these costs before purchase?

Are you usually not allowed a 24 review period to reverse your transaction without penalty?

Are you not allowed to say "no"?

If so, you may have a legitimate argument or your Airbnb platform may be broken

Good luck

No, I am saying that advertising a price in high season that is only available in low season is a deceptive  practice.  Or as we say it back home;  a lie.   My platform is not broken.  The people who compete by deception are broken.  Check your mirror if you wonder who that may be Paul in Seattle.

Aparently I am not the only one who feels this way about liars.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/16/airbnb-eu-pricing-accommodation-fees-charges

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

What I do and what is common in the rental industry is to reduce the price for one night at some time in the distant future.  When somebody searches for a listing in an area but does not put any dates in the filter, then the lowest price listed is shown.  So I take $10-$15 off on one or two mid week nights a couple of months from now so my listing shows the lower price in this circumstance.  I see this all the time on hotel and car rental booking sites as well as other short term rental sites like trip advisor.  I don't consider it unethical or bait and switch as they see the price they will pay when they enter in the dates they want.  It's not like I am listing the space for $5 or anything.  

So you do not think you are being deceptive when you advertise a low season price in a high season.  I know how to manipulate the truth.  Do not need a lesson,  I know how to manipulate the truth.   I just chose not to.  Deceptivie advertising has become the norm.  Lying is in fashion.  Lee Iococca said, "In business you either lead, follow or get the hell out of the way." 

I prefer to be a leader, not a follower and earn my money truthfully.  Liars get the hell out of the way I say.  But if you feel good about being a part of this deception and do not believe that your BnB is valuable enough based on itself and need to be deceptive then it is your business and your soul.  Not mine.

@Maria-and-Jean0 wow...you're getting pretty ugly with this.  So now my very soul is in jeopardy??  Get a grip please.  No, I'm not lying to anybody and I do not feel I am being deceptive.   It's simply a possible price they could pay if they book the date that price is listed.  NOBODY has the exact same price every single night of the week or month, it varies and that's normal.  I simply knock $10 off a few different nights of the year, how is this unethical?  If the guest enters in the dates they want then they see the price it will be, no deception, no lies. The calendar shows what dates are reduced and they are free to book at that reduced price if those dates work for them. I get people booking 4,5 or 6 months in advance all the time.  It's ONLY in the situation when they enter no dates at all that airbnb chooses to show the guest the lowest available price.  This is an industry norm.  My competition does it so why shouldn't I?  I guarantee Lee Iacocca would not have a problem with it so please reserve your holier than thou judgements for somebody else.    

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Maria-and-Jean0 as hosts we have no control over what price Airbnb shows on searches for which no dates are given. It seems to show the lowest price. I wish it would show the whole range, and cleaning fee, but it doesn't show that until the guest selects specific dates. Still as @Paul154 said it's hardly "bait and switch" -- every guest sees exactly what they will pay before they book, and they are free not to. My pricing is set automatically by wheelhouse, and it does vary quite a bit. But I'm not trying to misinform anyone.

You are right Lisa. It is not "bait and switch" as the law goes.  But morally it is deceptive.  If your place is such a great deal then why not set it at the great deal price.  Sure it is the practise of the entire travel industry but that does not take away from the fact that if you say $99 per night it should be no more than $99 per night.  Nor does it make it morally right.  Where I come from deception is no different than lying.

And apparently I am not the only one who feels this way.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/16/airbnb-eu-pricing-accommodation-fees-charges

Has "Honesty is the best policy" become just another the "The truth is not the truth"?  Well, not for me.  What you see is what you get and I am **bleep** proud enough of it that I dont have to post a price that is not available to earn your business.  

@Maria-and-Jean0 I'm honestly curious, what is dishonest about having variable pricing? Are you distinguishing between the hosts' behavior and airbnb's here? My prices are quite variable between seasons and weekdays, and my cleaning fees, which are always the same, seem high to some. They are definitely sometimes higher than my nightly rates, on off-season week days (though I don't do one-night bookings).  Cleaning fees go directly to my cleaners. I don't like that Airbnb only posts my lowest price until someone enters dates (because it wastes people's time and provokes reactions such as yours)-- but what can/should I do about that? Should I build the cleaning fee into my nightly rate-- to the disadvantage of guests booking longer stays?

You can complain to Airbnb.   Like I am doing.  Tell them that their allowing Host to advertise low ball prices in high season and only available  in low is deceptive and you want them to change the way the practice.   Tell them that if they do not change this practise then that you will stop using them as your listing agency.  That's a start.

Apparently I am not the only one upset by this deceptive practice.

there is nothing dishonest about having variable pricing... what is dishonest is advertising a lowball off season price in high season.. 

perhaps you should write airbnb as i have and tell them that you would prefer a more honest way of treating your Guest.  

How about if it isnt available at least a quarter of the season, may 15 - sep 15 in the northern hemisphere.. that it can be shown at that price... and what is wrong with actually advertising the actual price.. 

@Maria-and-Jean0    Maybe you are just not understanding how this platform works?  People don't only book the high season during the high season and the low season during the low season.  People book months and months in advance all the time.  I already have bookings for January and even a couple in the Spring of 2019.  If the guest does not enter in the dates then we have NO IDEA when they plan to stay and we should advertise the best prices available...how is this unethical???  And if they do enter in the dates then they see the price for those dates...I'm not getting your outrage here. 

You don't need to tell me about business.  I am the great manipulator.  I brokered boats in the desert and averaged 15-20 per month. 

Well that is the difference between you and I Ned.  I am in it for the love of the hospitality business and for my Guest.  I want to treat them like I want to be treated from begining to end.  You are in it for the money. 

It is just like cooking Ned.  If you don't put your love into it; it is only food.  People will eat it but it won' t be an experience they remember or wish to repeat.

Please don't hurt your head on account of me Ned.  It is only money.

Maria and I hope you will come to Alaska and let us show you what hispitality is all about.

Best wishes, Jean

@Maria-and-Jean0  I suggest you spend some hours reading through various topics on this hosting forum before assuming that hosts don't make an effort to change Airbnb policies they don't agree with. Airbnb is by and large not interested in hosts' suggestions, in most hosts' experience. So good luck trying to get them to change this.