Inspections and permits Sonoma County

Inspections and permits Sonoma County

Does anyone have experience with vacation rentals in unincorporated areas in Sonoma County. We have a house that has been remodeled but no permits or inspections. Are inspections standard procedure to acquire a permit and license to rent as vacation unit? 

12 Replies 12
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I have 2 STRs in different states, and did not have to provide remodelling permits or inspections to get vacation rental permits and licenses for them.  You should check with your particular county, though.

Are either of them in CA. 

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

The city of Mt Shasta in northern California is reviewing their STR ordinances and 1 suggestion was to have annual inspections of registered STRs. So clearly it happens. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I’m in Sonoma County and never had inspections. Maybe this is something new? I think I just read there is a moritorium on new short term rentals. 

Whit270
Level 1
Cloverdale, CA

I have a studio rental in Sonoma County on my main property and am being shut down/fined for operating while my permit is pending. Going to lose the whole season as it's at least 6 months for permit process. 

Hi, I have the same situation.  Let me know if you learn anything and let's keep the conversation going!  

Odi1486
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

How long does someone have to get all the permits in Sonoma county? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Odi1486 I would suggest this is a question you are best asking your local government that governs STR regulations in your area. 

Permits are required to operate a STR in Sonoma. Code enforcement is actively searching for violators and the fines are up to $6,000 now.

I have not had to submit any permits to the Permit Sonoma division of Sonoma County. The permits would be for Sonoma County to assure you are building to code. I own in TSR and have not submitted any permits to STR/Permit Sonoma. 

So in my case even though I went through their whole process they posted on their website they went on and fined me because they did not call after my several attempts to get my permit after numerous emails back and forth sending and requesting more information from me and my landlord. The City turned around and said I NEver filed anything even though I did and in fact they even gave me a TOT number and bill which I already paid. They fined us for 1,000 because they “can’t find my application” but some how they did find and received the TOT one which was sent the same day as the permit application. 🧐

To be clear your original question related to inspections post building. Those BUILDING permits and inspections are not directly linked to acquiring a Vacation Permit- that will authorize you to pay TOT.