Instincts in Salt Lake City A potential guest new to airbnb - not a right fit

Harper0
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Instincts in Salt Lake City A potential guest new to airbnb - not a right fit

Hello! This is my first time posting in the community. 

I have loved being an Airbnb Host in Washington D.C. and now in Utah. And, I got the hang of being discerning. There now seems to be many many (as a former great guest said "the masses are joining") new timers.

Yesterday I received a request from someone new to airbnb, they explained they were using their father's business airbnb account, but the profile name was of the town they were from in Turkey, he was also raised in Utah, and wanted to stay with us for 4 nights. He also didn't have an accurate profile photo up. 

So, because he didn't have the correct name or profile photo up, I was cheerful and positive, and just asked for that update. He wrote me this long and upsetting email about not having time for this, and that he was on the road, and doesn't have time to waste sitting in front of a computer all day. The second email then explained why he was upset and that he made the changes. Because of the first lengthy email vent, I really thought it was best that he start anew with a new host, with his proper profile account. My boyfriend raised the point that if he is quick to temper, the last thing you want is someone in your home for four days when something doesn't suit their standards. 

A big thing is that if someone doesn't have a review from another host - I want to be a little more discerning.

I wrote a polite email back. He then just wrote me again about how I lost a great customer and how there are hundreds of places in Salt Lake City that are better than yours, and wow a rather nasty tone, - I am so so so glad I followed my instincts. 

But then, I sort of want to warn other hosts. I wonder how hosts can share with other hosts and give them a heads up.

Anyway - happy to be apart of the airbnb community and 99% of the time we are having a wonderful experience both as hosts and travelers.

Take Care,

Harper (& Francisco)

2 Replies 2
Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

I do wish there was some sort of a website where we could post the names of potentially bad, dangerous or just very unpleasant guests. Not publicly, but privately for hosts. I guess that goes against the spirit of Airbnb, though, and in all fairness, the subjectivity of some reviews works against the reliability of this sort of system. 

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Harper0 Enjoyed reading your post.  Some people are really inflated with a sense of their own self importance!  I have one very strict rule for my entire home listing: My home, my rules. 

I guess I come off rather blunt in these situations.  I am polite but to the point: I require a proper photo and verified ID.  Of course I have Verified ID as a reservation requirement so I don't get any reservation requests without it.  People without Verified ID can make inquiries though.  So long as a guest has completed their profile and Verified ID I accept guests with no reviews and they all have been great. But being rude and pretentios is a real turn off for me and I don't hesitate hitting the decline button. 

Your guest had so many red flags.  Many veteran hosts would simply have declined without explanation. Father's business account? No photo? No reviews?  Three strikes and you're out, baby!

So many hosts become doormats in an attempt to be friendly, nice, what have you. I believe in being courteous and polite but I stand my ground.  I guess I would have declined the request / inquiry after the email where he said he didn't have time to comply with your requests.  What about your time fooling around with him? Sheesh!

Glad you dodged this bullet and I hope other hosts will be on their toes too and will decline his requests.  What a nightmare he would be! Probably would leave after 1 day and then claim a refund. 

All the best!