Intentional cancellation by the guest

Ashley-Malei0
Level 2
Seoul, South Korea

Intentional cancellation by the guest

Hello,

I have been running the airbnb in different places for five years. There was some intervals that I did not run.

During those years, I was away from the list, out of the country, where only the guests were staying.

In the past several weeks, I have got the suspicious guests who repeat the same type of behavior.

I am out of the country; and  they are the only one from the list's country who call me in the morning; given that they can see my local number from the airbnb.

They are all rude, and do not answer first. They wait until I answer in their own local language. Then, they ask me the basic questions which the usual guests do not need to call internationally and ask. It is the questions are repetitive on the messages. 

The list's has the front door only with the passcode. That is the important instruction that I need to "TEACH" and make sure that the guest knows. Therefore, I tell them twice on my airbnb messages.

Even that, the first question from them is to know the code; and they cancel.

The one guest did that; and I was worried about the security of the list because I could not change the passcode abroad. Therefore, there was the additional hassle to secure the place; asking the other guest in the list whether he saw the one who cancelled came into the list or not.

The next guest did the same thing; but more hasty way. He called me, asked two questions about the passcode and which floor it is; and said he wants to cancel it.

After the first experience about the cancellation on arrival; I changed my policy of cancellation from "flexible" to "strict". However, I did not fully understand the details; therefore, I misinformed the guest that he cannot cancel on the day of arrival under the "strict" policy. And I notified that I changed the cancellation policy.

Then, this rude guy on the phone turned monster; he asked "no cancellation? no cancellation?" like this; even the native Korean speaker erratically made grammatical errors on the phone, and finished the call without any word.

At the same time, he sent me messages on the airbnb that I do not answer the phone. Then, he started to complain, "the place is too cold, and he cannot control the heating panel, and the list has a fungi." 

I told him on the messages, that there is a separate heater; that looks like a fan; apart from the major heating panel that he erratically complained to the airbnb that the host blocked him to change the temperature on that freezing place.

To give the airbnb proof about the fungi on the wall, he took out the blanket on the bed of his room, and covered the window with the blanket to hide the sunlight; and to shine the fungi that looks more black just next to the window.

It is erratic unless he was intentional to find some weakness on my list.

I do not even know how they judge that as fungi. 

The case manager accepted his claim and it belonged to the host's cancellation.

My list had a serious charge on the cleanniess. I also explained that he is Korean, as he speaks Korean, and according to my price which is 1/6 of the neighbors list, those fungi is not something to kill the list if he had an innocent mind.

As a host, I do not know why the blame is on me, as he looks like he intentionally book the place in order to cancel. I even received the automatic email from the airbnb that warns me about too much cancellation. 

I am talking to the airbnb that he wanted to CANCEL before he enters the place.

As of now, he even left the bad ratings on my list, and my list was suspended for five days.

I observe him as a gang to ruin my airbnb; but the airbnb just talks about their standard, and cannot understand his intention.

I sent the message to the airbnb that the case manager needs to check this guest wanted to cancel his reservation on the phone call that he made when he wanted to know the passcode.

How and What can I do?

1 Reply 1
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Ashley-Malei0 I'm not 100% sure that I understand what's going on here, but I think that it's pretty clear that you either need to get a co-host or friend who can check on your listing while you're out of the country, or discontinue hosting until you're able to be on site. Maybe don't give the door code to the guest until someone checks them in in person and goes over the apartment with them. I'm not sure how else you're going to prevent this from happening.