Is it essential to provide wifi/internet

Adelle5
Level 2
Rye, Australia

Is it essential to provide wifi/internet

Oh my first three bookings - 2 did not ask for and were not concerned that there was no wifi, however one guest stated that it was a must for guests.

What is the main reason for it being a must? So they don’t use their phone data?

i have seen a few topics about guests getting refunds if the wifi plays up - this to me seems like something you have no control over and just a possible way to loose money on top of the monthly costs to have it. 

I would love to hear what other people do and what their experiences have been.

thank you!

adelle 

30 Replies 30
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

hi @Adelle5

At this day and age, for me, yes, it is a must.

As a traveler, I would never stay in a place without Wifi.

I would not have data in Australia, being from the UK, so I use the wifi to speak to family back home in the evening, to do research on what to do on the next day,  book tickets for concerts / tours, etc.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Adelle5. I haven't rented a place without full time internet access for almost 20 years. It is how I work. It is how I plan. It is how I buy admission tickets. I don't really care if there is wifi, an ethernet connection is fine, but internet access is essential.

Assuming that your area has other AirBNB's, you would be hard-pressed to compete without this staple amenity.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Adelle5, I think only hosts like me can get away with no wifi. I have no choice - the listing is remote and off-grid. People book it because of that, not in spite of it. I try to be very, very clear about the lack of amenities in my description and get guests looking to put down their phones. 

As a guest, though, I am usually travelling for work, and wifi is nearly essential. I could use data, but it is quite expensive, and so I would choose the place with wifi over the place without. 

If you can provide wifi, you probably should.

Katie201
Level 4
Salt Lake City, UT

@Adelle5 Unless you're an intentionally off-grid listing, wifi/internet at the home is absolutely necessary. As another host has mentioned, guests coming from another country likely won't have data on their phone. There are also those guests who bring laptops and will need to do work online. You will continue to get unhappy guests and/or less bookings for not offering what most of the world now considers a standard and expected amenity. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Yes, and I have an Uninterrpted Power Supply to keep the router and modem going for an hour and a half in the event of a power outage.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Internet is an assumed amenity. I know people who would physically have a panic attack if there was no internet, they might even die.

@Emilia42 LOL, I might die laughing now!

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

I agree with the others that internet is essential. That is possibly the number one question I get asked. On that same note, because of where I am I point out that I have installed the best internet available in my area and if/when it goes out we all suffer and it's out of my control. No discount, no compensation, maybe some cookies but that's it.

Sue251
Level 5
Tasman, New Zealand

I provide unlimted wifi.  I started with a set data plan but was hit with a shocking bill after a couple sat inside for 2 rainy days watching movies over the internet 🙂  nothing wrong with that but a lesson learnt for me.

To be able to connect to wifi is usually the first thing my guests ask, and do upon arrival.  Its needed to plan trips, research the area and most of my guests skype or call their home countries.  Its a great bonus for them.

Its not essential you provide it though I think its expected.  Your listing clearly states you dont have wifi so if you are getting the amounts of bookings you require then theres nothing wrong with that.

When travelling, I will always choose a place offering wifi over one that dosnt.  Its simply nice to have in the evenings and a useful tool.

Saying that I have stayed at places that dont offer wifi, and because I was aware of this when booking, it hasnt been a problem.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

For 95+ % of all guests internet today is a must have like electricity.

If You don't have it You should put up a sign bigger than Texas in Your

photogallery, that You don't have it, or You will be running into trouble

again and again.

Ute you crack me up with bigger than Texas!!! Texasn think they are all bigger and better. I have a brother that lived there for 20 years and moved to the northwest and now Texas isn’t so big and so great. I like said on other post you all know more about us than we know about ourselves. Thanks for all the Germans that stay with us. I learn a lot about the good old USA from all you foreigners! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Adelle5

I've heard for cases when guests were fully refunded because WIFI was down for few hours so it gave an idea to put the router on the window and rent it on Airbnb for the same price as the apartment. When booked guest will get my WIFI password so he could come, sit on the street under my window and surf..., smoking, kids and pets allowed :))))

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Adelle5 

Hi there - I wouldn't book a place without wifi - you need it to download tickets, get your airline tickets, check on days out etc.

If you can't provide it, or it is a weak signal due to your location then make this very clear in your description that while there is wifi, it is weak and not suitable for someone who may wish to work or access  large volumes of data.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Adelle5

Hi Adelle, some things become so entrenched into a global society that it seems impossible for the world to run without them, WiFi, being one of them. We can live without them, we had to once, but we don't.

People these days have an expectation that WiFi is a basic ammenity when on the move. Whole city centres are blanketed in free WiFi now and all but those seaking a willderness experience will expect to 'log-on'.

The problem is Adelle, if you do not provide WiFi you will either lose bookings because you don't have it, or you will have guests complain because you don't have it....... and either way it will cost you money.

Back, a couple of years ago before Wifi became so entrenched and just a standard part of an internet modem, I used to keep on the property a pre-paid data 'pocket WiFi' with 5Gbs of data on it which had to be used in a three month period. I think from memory it only used to cost me about $27.50 per charge and it was connected to the Vodaphone network. Now there are companies like Amasym which offer far greater data amounts for considerable less money. It may be an idea for you to go down this path. Don't just flash it for every guest but, if someone asks specifically what internet access is available just tell them that "a regular WiFi service is unfortuantely not available but to get around any problems have the use of this....the first charge is on me, subsequent ones are on you "!

I think you would find this would be a cheaper investment than the flack, and the missed bookings you are going to cop by not having WiFi!

Cheers.......Rob