Is setting up multiple listings for the identical space allowed?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Is setting up multiple listings for the identical space allowed?

Hey all! 

I have a neighbour who has a great Airbnb property. It's super cute but very basic an inexpensive: it's right on a major hiking trail and it caters to people who are looking for more of a glamping experience. Last year, his reviews fell to a 4.75 (I feel like people failed to manage their expectations... The place is inexpensive and it's rustic, but good). So he decided to start again with a new listing for the space rather than trying to boost his old listing. I'm curious if this is allowed by the terms and conditions? I find it a bit vaguely worded:

"You may only maintain one Listing per Accommodation, but may have multiple Listings for a single property if it has multiple places to stay."

In his case, he still has two active listings (although the calendar is blocked on the older listing). So to me that says it's not okay to have multiple listings for the exact same space but it doesn't prevent you from starting a new listing for the same space if you're unhappy with your reviews, as long as you don't have the same space listed more than once. 

Am I correct, or is there anything that prevents you from just starting again with a new listing if your old ratings aren't all you would like them to be? And do you get the new host/listing boost every time you re-list the property?

I had over 150 guests before I got my first less than 5-star review, and it was a terrible disappointment. I think I'd prefer to stick with my existing listing with all the history and not perfect reviews, but was kind of wondering "what if". If you've done it, how did it work out for you? 

16 Replies 16

@Ute42 I don't disagree: 4.75 is nothing bad. Sure his listing has a few warts, but if guests want perfection, that's not the place for them anyways. However... The deed is done. The new listing is published. The old listing is no longer in use. 

My question: is it allowed by the terms of service to remove your listing and replace it with an identical new listing because the old listing had reviews you didn't like, or will it get your listing removed? 

@Alexandra316  

Unfortenately I cannot answer Your question. I never had the desire to swap my listing and never looked into the implications.

From an airbnb point of view: Why should they remove the new listing? Your friend did business with airbnb and continues to do business with them, so what. Your friend isn't manipulating the review system, just starting fresh with a new listing, maybe after having removed the most critizised flaws in the place. I personally see nothing wrong with that.