Kitchen usage or not?

Mary696
Level 2
Pontiac, MI

Kitchen usage or not?

Need some input on the use of my kitchen.  I have been a host for about a year and a half.  I have always allowed my guests full access to my kitchen.  I clear space in my fridge.  If they stay for longer than a week I also clear space in my freezer and pantry.  I have no issue with guests storing food.  My issue is that my kitchen is being destroyed.   I  have had pots and pans ruined.  I have very expensive knifes that are being destroyed.  I had to replace a toaster oven because a guest left it on for about 5 hours and melted the power cord.   Then there are the little 'nit picky' things like not putting dishes away after they are used and not wiping down the counters and stove.

Here' where I could use some input.  Should I deny access to those staying a sort time and allow only the long term guests access?  Should I deny access to everyone?  If I make dinner/breakfast, I do invite my guests to join me.  I just don't want my kitchen destroyed anymore.  Thanks in advance!!

16 Replies 16
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Huma0 

Honestly I dont know how you guys do it, must be very stressful sometimes, I wouldn't like to share my home especially my kitchen my kitchen is huge but no it's mine,

I could easily rent 3 bedrooms off as they are separate building on the land the pool is big enough but not my kitchen ahahaha.

Shared bathrooms and toilets is not my thing, 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 

It's not for everyone, for sure. I was renting the rooms already to long term lodgers for several years, so it wasn't such a leap for me. There are pros and cons to both lodgers and guests. I do find that guests in general are cleaner and tidier in communal areas, including the kitchen. They are also highly unlikely to act like they own the place. 

I would love to have my own private bathroom, but it's just not possible with the way the house is set up. That could only work if I rented out one room rather than three. Anyway, I am used to it. Even before I bought this house, I was renting out the spare room in my flat, which only had one bathroom.

But yes, it can be stressful at times and I have found it more so these past few months as difficult guests seem to be on the increase. It can be very uncomfortable sharing your home with certain people. Luckily those are still the minority (for now).