Leaving Guest Reviews (by a Host) - What to Say?!

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Leaving Guest Reviews (by a Host) - What to Say?!

Whilst I have been hosting for a few years, I am becoming more and more averse to leaving my guests' reviews.

Every so often, for exceptional guests, I will take the time to leave a glowing review but for those that have been okay to good i.e. not caused any significant damage, mostly abided by the house rules and left the place a little dirty and untidy rather than immaculate - what should I say? It seems to take me so long to think of the appropriate wording, to advise other hosts they're okay guests but might cause issues. I've ended up not bothering. Worse still, for bad guests, this poses an even greater challenge!

For example, I recently hosted a young(er) married couple and their 4-year old daughter. Although they seemed pleasant upon meeting, they were not very respectful of my property during their stay. Their little girl ran all about the cottage, had a tantrum when I took the time to show her my animals, so much so she upset my young goat kids, and upon their departure, they left the bath towels and bathroom soaked in water, from the window to the ceiling, and both bedroom windows dripping with condensation. 

To top it off, she has now asked whether her review had been received. As if prompting me to write one for her... which is new to me.

So, here's the review I am thinking of leaving them:

"X and X booked a 4-night stay with their 4-year old daughter, X. Disappointingly, despite their early departure, every towel was left soaking wet and the bathroom drenched in water, from the window to the ceiling, and both bedroom windows dripping with condensation. Whilst a pleasant couple, if they had taken a little more care of our cottage it would have been appreciated."

18 Replies 18

@Farrah18  Why message a heads up that you are "going to try to get the deposit"? Just send a request for damage payment. And in the future, don't take 3rd party bookings-they are against Airbnb TOS and will make it difficult for you to collect.

Lessons learned! Thank you.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Sarah327 I use superhosttools.com to automatically leave a one-sentence 5-star review for every guest. I intercept/intervene with a “manual” review only if the guest is unusually good or bad.

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

I think you did the right thing in leaving a review. And in making it an honest one.

As a host I always write reviews, both/either for the benefit of the guest, and/or for any hosts that might receive  a booking from guests who have stayed with me. And when receiving booking requests, I feel much safer if the guest has a few reviews from previous hosts. 

I am quite new at hosting, my guest no 19 just checked out, and I think I have been very lucky, I don’t think I’ve had one «bad» guest. And I have therefore left 19 positive reviews.  

I hope I will be able to leave an honest, but fair and balanced review also when I have less great guests. Which I’m sure I will eventually have.