Leaving Guest Reviews (by a Host) - What to Say?!

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Leaving Guest Reviews (by a Host) - What to Say?!

Whilst I have been hosting for a few years, I am becoming more and more averse to leaving my guests' reviews.

Every so often, for exceptional guests, I will take the time to leave a glowing review but for those that have been okay to good i.e. not caused any significant damage, mostly abided by the house rules and left the place a little dirty and untidy rather than immaculate - what should I say? It seems to take me so long to think of the appropriate wording, to advise other hosts they're okay guests but might cause issues. I've ended up not bothering. Worse still, for bad guests, this poses an even greater challenge!

For example, I recently hosted a young(er) married couple and their 4-year old daughter. Although they seemed pleasant upon meeting, they were not very respectful of my property during their stay. Their little girl ran all about the cottage, had a tantrum when I took the time to show her my animals, so much so she upset my young goat kids, and upon their departure, they left the bath towels and bathroom soaked in water, from the window to the ceiling, and both bedroom windows dripping with condensation. 

To top it off, she has now asked whether her review had been received. As if prompting me to write one for her... which is new to me.

So, here's the review I am thinking of leaving them:

"X and X booked a 4-night stay with their 4-year old daughter, X. Disappointingly, despite their early departure, every towel was left soaking wet and the bathroom drenched in water, from the window to the ceiling, and both bedroom windows dripping with condensation. Whilst a pleasant couple, if they had taken a little more care of our cottage it would have been appreciated."

18 Replies 18
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Sarah327 I generally don't review unless a guest reviews me so in this case I probably would say something like "This was a pleasant family and they seemed to enjoy their stay. I understand that having a very young child can create additional challenges but I did have some extra cleaning to do behind them, specifically in the bathroom. This group is best suited for a space thats very child friendly with easy clean surfaces, and no animals. Unfortunately though they were lovely to speak with my place was perhaps not the best choice for their stay "

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Wow, thank you, Laura, for your reply. It seems you've got this couple in one!

I've adjusted your suggested review. Really just to keep it short and to the point but I feel a lot more comfortable about leaving it now:

"A pleasant family who enjoyed a quiet and relaxing stay in our cottage. Whilst young children can create additional challenges, extra cleaning, specifically in the bathroom, was required following their departure. Perhaps a more child-friendly property with no animals may have been a better choice for them."

@Sarah327  we are very kid friendly but have a quirky old cottage with chickens that wander over from next door: it's a bit similar to your charming space in spirit. We have zero carpeting and easy clean flooring but also have things like reclaimed barn wood and hand built hickory kitchen cabinets. Our place has a rustic vibe so it's not such a big deal if it's gotten a few dings but kids can definitely make messes. Our cleaners get an extra heads up when we have families stay. 

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

I do get your point's Laura but straight after these guests, a couple and their 4-year old boy stayed. In comparison, they have been extremely respectful of our cottage. Even letting me know when they accidentally broke some glasses. 

We shouldn't have to accept that when a child stays there will be extra cleaning or worse, damage caused! Why does no one accept responsibility for anything these days!

I am certainly considering a change of flooring from carpet to wooden boards and other alterations. Given this all costs and very often child do not pay to stay, these will just have to wait.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sarah327  Don't include the child's name. It isn't necessarily.

I think your review or @Laura2592 's review works well. I would expect some continued conservation from the guest since they are eager for your review and might be disappointed when they recieve it. But I don't think that should stop you from being truthful. 

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Just thinking, would you also write the guest a private note explaining the rationale behind the review - or not?

Here's my initial stab at it:

"Hi X,

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a review. I have now left one in return.

Unfortunately, I was unable to give 5-stars for cleanliness and observance of house rules given that every towel was left soaking wet and the bathroom drenched in water, from the window to the ceiling, and both bedroom windows were dripping with condensation.

As you left well before the 10 am check out, I feel you had sufficient time to rectify the damage or at the very least notify me of it.

I have, therefore, left a factual and fair review based on my experience of you as guests."

You can. I'm sure your guest will ask so it might be good to pre-empt that.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sarah327 As they "left before 10 they had time to rectify the damage."   Reminds me of a guest who gave me 1* for cleanliness, having been offended by the sight of 'cleaning rags' in the shared bathroom! Of course I pm-ed him to tell him the 'cleaning rags' were on public display so HE could mop up after himself! What a shock that must have been to him!  

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah327 and @Laura2592 it seems to me that they are both clear and fair reviews.

Maybe Sarah you are overthinking it, and that's why its taking so long?

We review every guest as a courtesy to them and to other hosts.

I guess that is perhaps a little true but it has always helped me in more difficult hosting situations - making sure I have covered all bases, I am fair and most importantly adhere to Airbnb's rules.

Whilst I have been hosting a while, there is still so much to learn and I am keen to keep doing so as the world is continually changing around us!

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Well, the guest left me a 5-star review but at least I explained my rationale for not leaving them the same in return.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Sarah327 

I don't scratch my head over a guest review for hours.  Sometimes I just write: "thank You for Your stay". Noone over complained about it.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Sarah327

There are many threads in the hosting forum about guest reviews you might enjoy pursuing.

Thank you for leaving an honest one.

I'm in a similar boat, except, the person who booked the place booked it for his father and his father's family so he wasn't the one who actually stayed there. The people were pleasant enough on the phone but they were very disrespectful of the home. They left it trashed and their animals peed and vomited everywhere. Going to try to get my deposit because I'm going to need very expensive deep carpet cleaning. Not sure what to write in the review and not sure if I should message a heads up that I am going to try to get the deposit. Any thoughts?