Leaving a bad review

Leaving a bad review

We have just had nightmarish guests to stay in our little cottage.  They checked in as 3 people but held a wild party with about 8 others  which we stopped when we discovered it three hours later.  They had thrown our furniture, empty bottles and other items into the stream which runs beside it, thrown all books, card games etc. all over the space, sticky alcohol was all over the floor etc.  Saucepans ruined.  We even felt it necessary to call the police at the point when we were asking them to leave.  We have asked for compensation via Airbnb.  Meanwhile the guest has left us a review.  We of course are unable to see this without writing a review.  I have read some negative comments around writing a bad review, but if I don't write a review I will not be able to see their review and if appropriate comment or request it's removal.  What is the best thing to do I wonder?

15 Replies 15

Sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience with such troublesome guests. As a host,  you certainly aren't alone, I think many of us have been in your position at some point. 

When I started out I tried to give myself a heads up by thinking about common things guests might complain about, I found this handy: https://www.igms.com/airbnb-complaints/  

I expected a few niggles from guests (you can't please everyone all of the time)! But by far and away, the worst guest complaints are those that are false or made unfairly. It sounds like you're going to get one of those from your recent party-animal visitors! 

The review system depends on honesty, and even though these guests will twist the truth it's important you leave accurate and honest feedback. Your fellow hosts will appreciate the heads up! 

Other hosts have made lots of valid points, you might be feeling deflated but your hands aren't completely tied: 

1. Let Airbnb know what's going on (if you haven't already) - you had to ring the police after all!
  2. If your guests do leave a bad review you can respond. It's always good to get your side of the story on the record too!
  3. Keep your cool, stick to the facts and remain professional. 
  4. Aim to screen future guests - not easy I know but worth a try. I check profiles are complete, I look at their feedback, etc.
  5. I ask my guests to confirm they have read and understood my house rules (I don't have many and I keep it light, but I do expect my guests to respect them)!
  6. I try and meet and greet guests (I like the personal touch and I'm nosy)  but I know that's not something everyone can do.

I really hope things work out for you and I hope you're next visitors are nicer!