Listing Titles

James1366
Level 2
Mobile, AL

Listing Titles

I read policy on creating listing Titles, then I noticed fellow member's listing, NO HIDDEN FEES.  This is a violation of your policy whereas no host should disparage another.  At first I flagged her listing, but after no response, I contacted customer service an complained.  Much to my dismay, nothing happened.  After several weeks of seeing her listing always right next to mine, I contacted the host Manuela and explained that it was unfair to insinuate that other hosts are doing anything deceptive and underhanded by charging fees.   I explained that NO ONE on airbnb charges hidden fees, as customers can simply click on question mark for breakdown of costs.  She was trying to make me look bad even though I was doing nothing wrong.  I told her if she had stated NO CLEANING FEES, or NO XTRA PERSON FEE (yes, it was in caps), that might be logical--even though it might make guests wonder about her cleanliness by NOT charging the fee, but she persists stating that this is her marketing strategy.  Ironically, she rarely gets booked.  But anyway, I was suspended for going through improper channels to contact a fellow host!  After I agreed not to contact her again, my listing was reactivated.   So what is your position about this?  How do you get airbnb support team to take corrective action against a competitor breaking the rules and hurting the entire airbnb community?  I was very disappointed in their lack of concern and action to fix a readily solvable problem?  Perhaps someone could suggest  a more  positive  way to advertise her place without harming others.

27 Replies 27
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@James1366,

Please note some hosts can have the Guest Service Fee included in the nightly price (So the fee is zero on the booking form). It is a feature recently introduced.

Was this the case ? Then "no hidden fees" is still not really an nice item in the listing title, but could at least point to something.

If it is not the case, i agree Airbnb should take action against such a "marketing".

best regards,

Emiel

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@James1366,

The other side of is: she did not receive  a lot of bookings. Probably because certain guests will move away as such marketing, in uppercase, maybe is interpreted as : "i (the host) can not be trusted".  Exactly the opposite the host wants to achieve....

and I tried patiently to explain that.

when i interacted w/her she referred to time she went to new orleans and had bad experience as guest when she was charged cleaning  and extra person fees--and that is was she means NO HIDDEN FEES.  So she would list hers for 45, I would list for 45 plus 10 leaning, and 10 extra for 3 and 4 guests--very traditional and generally accepted.    I would be 55, she 45--but hurts us BOTH to disparage one to build your bookings.  And her total shows fees for airbnb and taxes, which were just as HIDDEN on her price as mine.  Very unfair and poor taste--inconsiderate and should have been addressed by Adrian, my case manager

I followed procedure to fix this violation, and was disa[pointed by customer service?  do u think they let her get away w it because she has 100 reviews and is superhost?   And then when I tried to communicate directly w her she had me suspended fo improper channels--phooey

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@James1366 @Emiel1 I don't see how this listing title violates any policy or disparages other hosts.

just read the policies for Listings in User agreement, then we can interact more effectively

do you charge a cleaning fee or extra person fee?  Do you HIDE that from your potential guests?

@James1366 yes I charge both as well as a pet fee. And I have in my summary "Enter dates for accurate pricing." And in my description: "A note on rates and cleaning fees: Our nightly base rates are set automatically and vary according to supply and demand in our area. Our cleaning fee is a fixed cost per stay, which goes directly to our cleaners for their labor and supplies. We think this is the fairest price structure for everyone, but it means that for low-demand dates, our variable nightly rate may drop below our fixed cleaning fee, leading to an unpleasant surprise when you see your final cost. We regret that Airbnb displays only the lowest available nightly base rate, excluding cleaning fees and their own service fees, until you enter your specific dates."

I would not dream of attempting to interfere with another host who chooses to advertise and price differently from me, not would I take it personally.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@James1366

while searching for property in the US the guest can see only the nightly price and then when he clicks on the listing and try to book he will see all other fees: cleaning fee and ABB service fee.

(In the EU this is considered as a bad business practice and it is not allowed so the guest will always see the full price.)

Neither guests nor hosts are happy with this hide and seek game so she is trying to attract guest by stating she doesn't have hidden fees. Some hosts have a different strategy and have a low nightly price to attract views but added a very high cleaning fee. Maybe it is not fair but it is not forbidden...

Airbnb recently introduced a new idea - host can pay a 15% host fee and his guest will pay 0 guest fee.

This is why I believe it WOULD be acceptable to say NO CLEANING FEE or NO EXTRA PERSON FEE for 3rd and 4th guests, but to say NO HIDDEN FEES and add hidden airbnb commission fees and taxes,  she IS charging hidden fees just like everybody else--deceptive.  It implies that Im doing something wrong by HIDING something and doing something underhanded.

@James1366 As irritating as her listing seems to be, she has a right to her own marketing idea. I personally wouldn't look at a listing that grabs attention with all caps, but that is my preference. A listing title does not make much difference to guests; if it's "catchy" they may mention it for all of 2 seconds. What matters is what the place looks like, how clean it is, location, and price. Put your best photo forward, make guests feel welcomed, so they give you 5 star reviews and you can view your "competition" in the rearview mirror as you drive to the bank. Each property seems so individual I doubt competition in a market matters. 

i do appreciate your perspective, but it is against policy we all agree to.    Guess I shouldnt let her insult offend me, just rise above such pettiness.   I had more hope for sense of community, but youre right--Ill get over it.  Somebody eill do something like that to her.    And the customer ends up paying an EXTRA FEE w/her too!

@James1366 exactly what rule do you think this host is violating? (And yes, I have read the terms of service.)