Listing suspended for over a year...Airbnb denied it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miriam120
Level 3
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Listing suspended for over a year...Airbnb denied it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I received an Airbnb e-mail saying "You declined the last 5 requests. Your listings could be suspended if you don’t start accepting more guests. "  In fact, my listings are blocked for over a year.

I'm proud to be an EXCELLENT host.... because I love what I do.  It seems Airbnb does not like that I screen possible guests.  I recommend that everyone screens future guests before accepting them. 

Why did I do this?

1) I hosted an ex-convicted who was 15 years in jail.  His friends rented my property for a "Welcome Week" I do not want to give details about this terrible stay.  I've rejected different ex-convicts, and other non-desirable persons. 

2) I hosted groups who prepared "wild parties".

3) I hosted ladies who work in the "oldest profession".

4) I hosted a "family" of 21 members (and others of 15 or 12 members) when my house has a limit of 6 occupants per stay.   I cannot accept more persons that the max. allowed by the City of Fort Lauderdale. 

For all these reasons, I take the time to research and screen people who want to stay at my properties.  They are located in an upper-middle class neighborhood, where I live since the year 2000.   This is a family-oriented neighborhood, and I'm proud of it and its values.  Therefore, I want to remain being a good neighbor and an excellent Airbnb Host.  I must say that most of the Guests have been excellent, specially when they are families.

As said to Airbnb before, I could accept any guest if Airbnb makes itself FULLY responsible, to me and to my community, for the Guests' behavior.  Don't I have the right to screen possible guests before accepting them?  Does Airbnb has the right to punish me by blocking my listing for screening possible guests?   Is Airbnb's screening policy (checking a phone number and an e-mail) good

26 Replies 26
Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Miriam120

This is a tricky one. While your wish to select guests who fit into your neighborhood is a valid one - your possible discrimination while doing so is another.

I do not disagree with your desired end result (protecting your property and the neighborhood) - but if you choose to do a social media & background check on potential guests in order to select some over others then using Airbnb as a booking agency is not for you.

Because that is what you sign up for when you become a member of the Airbnb hosting community - that you will provide space for other Airbnb members who have a verified profile and accept your house rules and price asked.

The verified profile is according to Airbnb standards - not yours.

Yes I know the standards  are not as stringent as they could/should be, and yes I know they could be improved (I post here all the time regarding issues about bad profile pics and gov ID etc),but the main point here is that if you want a different system, or one that allows you to pick and choose your guests without the backup of a well written listing and house rules, then either start your own listing company and website (where you can set your own rules) or select another booking site.

Airbnb allow a little leeway for hosts to decline guests - but quite rightly they only allow this to happen a few times before they have to step in.

Perhaps it may help to do some research about the methods other hosts use to 'select' the right guest for theirr property

there are lots of good examples and lots of posts here in the Community Center about this very topic.

Dear Airbnb Associate,

How could I accept 21 persons in a party when my house rules say 6 person max.  I comply with the City of FLL regulations:  max 2 persons per bedroom.  What about smuggling pets?  Should I host ladies of the nightg?  I undderstand that business is forbidden in Fort Lauderdale.  I see that my neighbor has hosted them through Airbnb.... Is this correct?  Lastly, I do not want ex-convicts in my propertides.  Does your organization approve it?

In short, why are you guys blocking my listing for asking people to comply with the rules?  Would you welcome this type of guests at your own property?  Shouldn't I be a good neighbor, and cooperate to maintain my neighborhood safety?

@Miriam120

Not sure who you think you are replying to, nobody posting on here works for AirBnB.

Just wondering why you seems to be attracting so many unsuitable potential guests.

David

... and frankly thats the biggest problem, just how do we hosts talk / write to someone who is actually responible at Air? Its a treasure hunt to find the way, 

I am in East Africa, calling the USA and hanging on hold, being passed around the system and finding anyone who can actually do something about a problem is almost impossible. They are pretty **bleep** quick to pick on something they don't like though.

I gave up trying to deal with problems by contacting them and talking to someone, cheaper to just give all the money back and move on...

Nuts system sometimes...

@Miriam120 why did you accept 21 people if the max. occupancy is only 6?

Do you think they told her there were going to be 21? They lied, most likely.

I had this situation, with people booking for 4 or 6 and then having 12 or more showing up.

I had another question for the OP though: how do you find out that the person booking is a convict or prostitute or whatever? I'd like to screen them too. Just looking at their FB page or whatever won;t reveal that info.

I don't think you get to choose who stays. Unless they are registered offender I don't think you legally can choose. 

@Rachael26  I agree with many of your points.  But at the end of the day Airbnb is a broker, so it is up to hosts to determine who they let into their homes/protperties.  If her place in a quiet area where neighbors complain about noise and if she does not want to host guest who want to throw crazzy parties, then it is reasonable for her to decline requests and to expect her to take issue with having to allow extremely loud guests who will party all night (this has nothing to do with age/race/gender/nationality). 

I believe the root of the problem is the way the listing is being advertised.  I think @Miriam120 would benefit from making it describe the type of atomosphere/experience her place offers.  This would allow her to communicate to guests why her place is or is not a good fit for their needs.  Then guests to determine on their own whether another place would be more suitable for their needs.  If I were looking for a party house, I would like to be told "hey, no problem! you and your friends can party here all night without issue" vs having to deal with an angry host passing by in the middle of the night to complain.  I also think the "delivery" of messages makes a HUGE difference... this may be something that needs work.

@Lina53

Thank you for your points of view on this difficult subject - and I found your listing suggestions very helpful and I hope that Miriam does also. I agree with you and think this is the main issue here - how can hosts benefit from the fabulous amount of presence and street cred that Airbnb provides (for such a small fee to hosts!), while at the same time protecting themselves and their property by providing a listing description that 'encourages' the right fit of guests, and 'discourages' the wrong fit from even inquiring? That is the fine balance that some hosts have achieved, and there are plenty of them out there - new hosts just have to take the time to examine and investigate the information out there.

The fact that Miriam is not aware that this community forum is made up of hosts and guests (and are not employed by Airbnb) who give their time freely to contribute and answer queries in this community center, is perhaps indicative of a basic lack of knowledge and unwillingness to learn about the system and company she is listing her property with.

Best Wishes.

i get it...

Lina53
Level 9
New York, NY

@Miriam120

Have you considered changing your listing's description/details to attract the type of guests you want to host while replling guests who will violate your House Rules? 

Try making your listing sound more personal and describe yourself/ your expectations for the purpose of attracting likeminded individuals?

Maybe something like:

[first thing they read]

“Located in a tranquil, quiet, family-oriented, upper-middle class neighborhood in ______.  Ideal for respectful and considerate guests who want relax in a peaceful, beautiful environment.  My home is NOT a good fit for guests who want to throw parties or make noise at night or during the day.  I have lived here for about 20 years, know my neighbors and respect my and community.  IMPORTANT: please send INQUIRY to check availability before sending a booking request.”

Maybe make your profile more personal to repel terrible guests:

“I have lived in ____ for close to 20 years.  Love this peaceful and quiet area.  I am quiet, considerate and respect of my neighbors - expect same from guest.  I enjoy hosting and take great pride ensuring my guest enjoy their visit so I take time to get to know my guests in order to make sure it is an excellent fit 🙂  Please send me an inquiry telling me a bit about yourself and the purpose of your visit.”

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I fear that for one reason or another, Airbnb may not be for you. 

I agree with Lina, that a change in description can make a lot of difference. It's the hosts' job to be clear, at the very beginning, what is acceptable. Whenever I have something happen, that I don't like, I adapt and learn from it.

Last summer, a few weeks into hosting, I had a guest leave a nice public review; but in the private section, he told me I was way too involved with my guests and needed to have less contact. What he really meant was that he got caught and didn't like it! I extend my noon check-out by 3 hours, if I have no one checking in. (It's a summer beach area and this is usually on Sunday.) His relatives had to check-out, on time, at the big house they had booked for a family reunion. Then later, when he brought some relatives to shower and clean up at my place, I was in the pool area and saw them drive up. I told him they could certainly use their room to change clothes in, but I didn't expect them to all shower, etc. I guess he didn't like that, but if he had asked in the first place, I probably would have said yes. I didn't like feeling taken advantage of.

The point is - I changed my listings immediately to say, "With the open floor plan, I will usually hear you coming and going." In other words, don't try to sneak past me. In another spot I added, "Facilities are for the use of registered guests only". I know my description is wordy, but guests know up front what they will and won't get here.

Guys, do you think people read the description? Think again. I had very few guests who actually read them. They just look at the pictures and that's it. No house rules, no amenities, nothing. Then, do you think the OP knew there were 21 people coming to stay at her place? Someone threw a party. Probably the neighbors complained. To avoid this kind of situation I'd modify the description - although you could write lilltle red riding hood in there, nobody reads - but I'd change so that people wouldnt be able to check in automatically. Everyone should wait to be approved. Decining a request shouldnt matter, right?