Location - 4 star review - Help!

Rinny0
Level 3
Canyon Lake, TX

Location - 4 star review - Help!

I had a guest leave me a positive review however gave me a 4 star for accuracy/location because we didn’t have hiking trails in our neighborhood. So I was kind of freaked out I wouldn’t make Superhost status (I did receive Superhost status). However I did take this to heart and changed my description to state there are no hiking trails in our neighborhood but stated they are a few located near by. I also included a few in the digital guidebook on Airbnb. I don’t think people even know it’s there. I even found a Airbnb experience that I list in my description for a guided tour.  

Now I just had another guest leave a positive review but gave me a 4 star for accuracy/location and an overall rating of 4. 😢 She stated “appears more secluded in the photos than it actually was. Nevertheless didn’t notice the neighbors”. 

The property has tall hedges on one side and a privacy fence on another side, the front entrance also has hedges with a chain link fence. The only exposed area is the back of the property which has a 4 foot chain link fence. The neighbor is not really around that much but they have a business with some machinery and an old junk truck on their lot. Ugh! 

So my question is: are my photos coming across as more secluded and should I post a picture of the back of the property (like the one I included here)? I take pride in my Tiny Cabin and I want my guests to feel they received the best experience. 

Now I’m afraid I won’t make my Superhost status. 

5EE2C449-B569-45CF-945B-7FFBFBCBE217.jpegDF80DEE9-9519-49D5-AEEC-8FBABD182D9F.jpeg

20 Replies 20
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It will get so you laugh at the location ratings, @Rinny0. A guest booked here this summer because she spent some of her childhood in the nearby village. Had fun looking up the old places. Gave me a 4 for location.  

Go figure! 😜

Rinny0
Level 3
Canyon Lake, TX

Thank You! 

A lot of good advice and I appreciate the feedback. I knew you all would point me in the right direction. I would hate for someone to be unhappy because my description/photos gave them the wrong impression. 

Good thing to come out of all of this - I’m finally going to bite the bullet and put up that privacy fence at the back of property  that I have been wanting to do for a long time! 

Ha! Maybe now I can justify the expense. Need to get more bookings and start selling my Art & Crafts! 

Rinny 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Rinny0: The location rating is the one thorn in our side as well. You are doing the right thing by updating your description and adding pictures to further explain your location. Don't take it to heart. Even with the changes you will most likley still get a 4 here and there. We are located in the downtown area of Sarasota. It says it in our description, I've made pictures to show our location in comparaiosn to the local beaches and we still get 4 stars sometimes for "not being on the beach." Its kind of ridiculous. 

If your Airbnb is an incorporated entity you can write off  the addition of the fence.

Becky41
Level 3
Springfield, OR

I agree that your photos and description could be more inclusive/accurate, but that's true for everyone.  No one posts pictures of the ugly side.  Every traveler who has booked any kind of lodging is aware of this.  I recently experienced the exact thing at an Airbnb on Kauai.  I was a bit disappointed that what I had imagined, wasn't quite the reality.  However, the description was not inacurate.  If it was, I would have dinged it, and it would have been helpful to all concerned.

In my thinking, it is the accuracy of the description that Airbnb should be asking of the guest review.  Everything else is subjective.  To penalize hosts because someone's imagination about a location was not fulfilled is unjust, IMHO.  

We’ve been hosts doing for a year and a half and I totally agree with letting go of the quest for 5 star reviews. I’m satisfied with a 4plus rating because guests don’t necessarily understand the grading system ( or should they...it’s complicated) and people will always be subject to their own interpretation of what qualifies as ‘5 star’. We do the very best we can and hope that guests find value in that.  We are practicing the art or letting go:-)