Long term rental concerns

Alice478
Level 1
Sandy, UT

Long term rental concerns

I am a host in Sandy, UT.   Currently there are no ordances regarding short term rentals here.  But there is a public meeting to discuss them at Sandy City Hall, on Aug. 21, @ 7pm.  I've looked at the planning committee's notes on STR's (short term rentals) and the proposed amendments look very restrictive.  If you want to look them up go to http://sandyutah.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx

Search STR notes and you will find the proposed amendments.  It appears that the city is very concerned about the proliferation of STR's and are therefore proposing inspections, heavy fines for any "violations", breaks between bookings of 3 days, the posting of the hosts name, phone # and contact info on the outside of your front door, two tiered permit process, etc.    Encourage all hosts in the UT area to go to this meeting.   

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alice478 I am not in your area but have been involved with how my city views STR and makes recommendations about "restrictions".  One important element in the discussion is if a host is also a resident because many of the issues about the proliferation of STR is the possible negative impact on the resident experience.  If a resident comments on the positives of the STR that will have more weight than if a developer or a remote host comments.  The dual role of the host/resident is important.  One aspect that was brought up in our discussions is how a guest might be inticed to become a resident by having the resident experience.  Cities like to grow and guests who visit via a home sharing experience are more likely to want to move there than if they only stay in hotels.   Just a thought, Alice.  Good luck!!