meth

Roberta196
Level 2
Laramie, WY

meth

First thing - I just want to know if this will post. I tried already to post a topic headed "meth" and got signed out and other obstacles to posting. Then I was magically still signed in once I went to a different page.

Suffice it to say - as far as I can tell, Airbnb does NOT want to know that a guest smoked meth in my apt AND has ZERO suggestions for handling the expense that this is going to cost me. (My $250 deposit is not going to cover it, obviously. And it has taken us days of turning our lives upside-down to remedy it as much as possible. Still haven't replaced mattresses. Do not know if I can ever make the apt habitable.)

5 Replies 5
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Oh @Roberta196, that's awful! I can't understand Airbnb - where are their ethics? Where is their host protection? It just seems to be about protecting guests over and over and over again. The more things like this I read in this forum, the more it makes me question whether to continue as a host. I'm so sorry this happened to you - maybe you should go to the media and then Airbnb will compensate you.

Thank you, Kath. Your sympathy actually means a lot! The apartment is so sweet, and the seller of this house left a lot of nice touches and history in it, gave me the family stories, etc. He left some beautiful carpets in the apartment - I just found a big burn in one of them.

The only problem with involving media or even police is - I don't know what kind of things might happen - I don't need bad press in my small town - and I feel like the police might do nothing or might require a lot of things that would be punitive to me. I am really hoping that Airbnb will do something that will monetarily compensate.

I think we have made a HUGE dent in dangerous toxins downstairs - but of course they say it is never gone. That just makes me sad for this sweet old lady of a house. I feel like I let her down. I wasn't careful - the renters didn't have state-issued ID, I think - and no reviews. I was dumb. But it would be nice to at least have a response from Airbnb - they have kept their commission!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Roberta196  If a guest committed a crime by smoking meth in your apartment, have you filed a police report?  Whether or not the guest smoked anything in you apartment is not their area of responsibility but it is probably a crime, right?  Of course youcan flag the profile.

If there is damage to your place, what steps have you taken to file a claim with Air BNB?  It is my understanding that if Air BNB decides there is damage and the cost of the damage exceeds your deposit then the host protection insurance can come into play.  Of course you have to start the process.  It is a long and frustrating process according to many hosts.

If this is a local person, you also can file in  small claims court.  And you can file a claim with your own insurance if you have coverage.

What are the steps to file a claim? So far I am getting no response from them - sent a message to them on 8/6.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Roberta196, I am not sure what cleaning that up entails, but I will tell you this, and not to scare you, but so you know.  We were looking to buy a duplex a few years ago and during the process, it was disclosed that there had been a meth lab in the basement apartment at one point. We learned that to remedy that, basically requires taking out the entire interior, including the drywall, etc.

Now I do not know if smoking it a few times in a room does the same damage or requires the same cleanup, but I would get on top of this asap, with a police report and reporting it in whatever way I could to get a paper trail started.