Loss of Superhost status

Samuel-And-Ragnhild0
Level 2
Thézan-lès-Béziers, France

Loss of Superhost status

Do you feel unfairly treated by Airbnb? We do.

We have held superhost status for a number of months - perhaps years - but lost it last Autumn because we declined an enquiry from a guest who insisted upon bringing with him a dog. On our site we very specifically state that no animals are allowed on the premises.

We feel really unfairly treated and now plan on leaving this service and going over to a different one. There are several. Airbnb has not been responsive.

32 Replies 32
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I believe that is correct. I currently have 88% 5 stars and 4.9 overall. It was still 4.9 when I had 87% 5 stars.

From what I remember, when Airbnb explained their rationale from changing the Superhost criteria from 80% 5 stars to a 4.9 rating, it was because the latter takes into account not just how many 5 stars you have, but how many 4, 3, 2 and 1. A host that has 85% 5 star reviews and 15% 4 star ones will have a higher rating than a host with 85% 5 star reviews and a mixture of 3 and 4 star ones.

As for @Samuel-And-Ragnhild0's original question, if the cancellation was in 2016, then it is likely that they have lost their Superhost status for not meeting the minimum trips/nights criteria, which they already said they are unable to meet.

Mary1135
Level 8
Bar Harbor, ME

I just lost superhost status and found this thread.  The email said I have too few bookings. This may be true for Airbnb; I listed on other sites because the 'quality' of guests from Airbnb last year was awful. I posted a discussion topic, many people posted agreement.

Yet, I wonder if they also factored in that i declined a recent person requesting booking -- her message asked me what.my policy on cancellation was.  Well...first of all, the policy is crystal clear, you just have to tap the 'policies' tab. Secondly,  honestly, what would a normal host do when receiving this message (from a person with 0 reviews). I had received a booking request on another site, and I told her I was accepting the other guest.  She complained to Airbnb about me, and I received an email from "Lilith" reminding me of policies. I did not respond in any way. That was 2 days ago and this morning I got the email that I'm no longer a superhost. I suspect that in actuality, someone didn't like that I accepted a guest on another site and dinged me for disloyalty. 

I actually don't give a rip about the superhost thing. I work my tail off, that will not change, but it makes Airbnb much less on my team.  This is MY property and I take on all the responsibilities. 

Kathleen657
Level 2
Millarville, Canada

I have been an Air bnb host for 3 years. Last September I experienced a problem using Instant Book for the first time.  I was in the process of booking a guest, when I received a notice saying another guest had been accepted for the same date (using instant book). The date that displayed on my phone only showed 202.... It did not display the entire year.

I  assumed it was for the current year, so believing it was a mistake, 

I cancelled the booking.

I even called Air bnb at the time, and reported the problem.  I was told by the Air bnb rep that it was a glitch with their system.

When I messaged the guest I had cancelled, I discovered she was trying to book for the following year, 2022! I went ahead and accepted her booking for 2022.

I'm approaching my 100th guest with a consistent 4.98 rating, and have  just received another email from Air bnb, saying they were taking away my superhost status for the 2nd time, because of the cancellation from last year.

I am extremely disappointed and upset that after everything I've done, to maintain high standards with excellent reviews from my guests, Air bnb continues to punish me for this one error, using a feature that was new to me, and that their software created, by not clearly displaying the correct year.

Air bnb is a people business. As a host, I have done my utmost to provide a rewarding experience for my guests. Air bnb profits from host's hard work. In my opinion, they need to treat hosts better.

Air bnb needs to change their policy and allow for a margin of error. It was their software that created the problem. Instead of addressing the issue, they penalize the host. This is not how you treat people.