Loss of Superhost status

Samuel-And-Ragnhild0
Level 2
Thézan-lès-Béziers, France

Loss of Superhost status

Do you feel unfairly treated by Airbnb? We do.

We have held superhost status for a number of months - perhaps years - but lost it last Autumn because we declined an enquiry from a guest who insisted upon bringing with him a dog. On our site we very specifically state that no animals are allowed on the premises.

We feel really unfairly treated and now plan on leaving this service and going over to a different one. There are several. Airbnb has not been responsive.

32 Replies 32

@Sandra856  No, it used to be 80%. Then they went to 4.9 overall star average. 

@Sarah977 What I meant was of course since the system changed. 

@Sandra856  Sorry, I'm not a mind reader to know what people meant 🙂 I just read the words as written.

@Sarah977 What I'm refering to is what @Robin4 and @Emilia42 are talking about when they write that don't think 89% could be a 4,9. I don't talk about anything else or the old system. When I mention the 4,9 scala I don't see why the old system would be relevant. But you are welcome to read it as you like 🙂

@Sandra856  What I was responding to was you saying the % has been 89% as long as you could remember (to me, that would mean it's always been like that) . But I get now what you were referring to. It's easy to misconstrue stuff on a forum 🙂

@Sarah0, you are being unnecessarily obtuse and a little mean here.  Sandra clearly said HER rating has been 89% for as long as she can remember.  You're the one who made the mistake of thinking she said Airbnb's standard was 89%. 

You say you read what is written, but you didn't...

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra856

Hi ya Sandra, I know it would involve a bit of mucking around on the part of the S.O.G. the company that runs the CC but I wish we had an achive facility where older contributions could be accessed.

Uté did a comprehensive post about the relevance between ratings and percentages and when they changed recently, 92% became a 4.9 and 91% became a 4.8. I also see this in my stats because I do fluctuate between a 4.8 and a 4.9 and 92% appears to be the cut-off point for a 4.9 rating. According to Ute's maths and her graphs an 89% 5 star reviews equated to a 4.7....

And in the absense of any qualified information from the company that is what I am going by Sandra!

I am always open to learning though, if this is wrong show us where?

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 I don't know but I have 89 % and 4,9. I can add a screenshot. Just a second.

Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 00.38.19.png

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra856

Well you have me beat Sandra, I don't know but, I am going to find out! 

I will do a bit of investigative work and post back here later on! I just assumed Uté was correct!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 A good thing is that you might not be as vulnerable as you thought when you have 91-92% 🙂

this debate is ridiculous! doesn't anyone know math here?

the percent of 5 star reviews does not ever directly correlate to the average rating, for the following reasons:

1. it depends how many reviews are present; and

2. it depends what the other ratings are - there's a big difference if the other 20% of ratings are 1 star vs 4 star.

I've currently lost my Superhost status. I have 90% 5-star reviews, but ONE out of 39 is 3 stars, so I've dropped to 4.7.  That one-night guest left a positive review, but 3-star rating.

I'm so irritated at Airbnb right now for not giving hosts any recourse. I feel they should drop one high and low rating before calculating the average. That would mitigate the random guest who doesn't understand the system.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Robin4@Sandra856, wouldn't the number of reviews play a large facture in this? Sandra has a good number of reviews so a 4 star rating is not going to affect her as much as someone with 10 reviews.

@Emilia42 That was also my thought. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra856 @Emilia42

Yes you are both right girls....James from San Francisco offered a sensible logic to the way the overall rating system works! Here is his calculation....

"I may be wrong but as a statistician I would assume the calculation of your average score goes something like this:

As an example, let us say in the last year you had 30 reviews:

24 - 5 star

5 - 4 star 

1 -  3 star

The calculation for you average score would be (24*5 + 5*4 + 1*3)/30 = 4.7666

Although 80% of your reviews are 5 stars, that one 3 star review has thrown off your average score to just below 4.8. If you instead of the one 3 star review, you had six 4 star reviews you average would be exactly 4.8.  

(24*5 + 6*4)/30 = 4.8

Again I'm just a statistics guy but this is how you should compute an average score. I have no idea how airbnb actually does it."

And this is Uté's thread which also backs this up.......

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Guantanamo/m-p/754779

So @Emilia42 you are right, the greater the number of reviews the less that one 'black eye' is going to stand out and the less baring it will have on that 'Overall Rating'!! @Sandra856 your accumulation of good overall reviews has enabled you to keep that rating high. Goes to show what a great host you are!

Cheers.....Rob