More and more inquiries for discounts.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

More and more inquiries for discounts.

What is happening in the Airbnb world that I have seen such a surge in requests for discounts? I have declined them all as "not comfortable with this guest". Thankfully I don't really need the income, but this must be happening to guests that do rely on extra cash from their listing. Is it because there are so many new listings so desparate for bookings that they will give in to requests for discounts? That must be it. I have hosted for over 4 years and have never had to decline so many inquiries. I may even get dinged by Airbnb because there is no drop down menu in "decline" for "guests asking for a discount".

48 Replies 48
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Has only happened to me a few time, I just pre approve, never had one book, assume it is a copy and paste.

David
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I think I have been asked a hundred times in a Airbnb ~inquiry~ what is the price, something they will see when they form the inquiry, if not mistaken. I always ~reply~ (no need to accept/decline, it is an inquiry), Airbnb will figure out for you.

Once in a while I do give them a discount if they come across as people I would really like to have as guests, and could use a price break.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I don't offer additional discounts as my prices are more than reasonable for London and for what the guests are getting. I usually just explain to them that they are paying around the same price as a private room in a not so nice hostel. I've never had a guest ask twice. If they do a tiny bit of research they will see I'm right!

Are guests who ask for discounts going to be problem guests? Sometimes. Recently I had guests ask for the weekly discount even though they were staying for less than a week. I said no. They then wanted to check in at 10 am instead of my normal 3 pm time. I said no. They showed up at 9.30 am anyway. Then they wanted to use my washing machine straight away (clearly stated in my rules as not available to short term guests) and so it went on...

On the other hand, I've had long term guests ask for a reduction not realising that weekly and monthly discounts are already in place. One of these ended up staying with me for four months and was lovely. I'm glad I didn't decline him just because he intially asked for a discount.

I sometimes also get enquiries from guests who don't understand that they are paying Airbnb fees. They ask why the price jumped from £X in the listing to £Y when they wanted to book. Can I give them the initial price quoted on the listing? Then I have to explain how the whole darn thing works...

Before we knew we could respond and dismiss, we used to decline these requests. Had a guest go ahead and instant book anyway after we declined him. He did act entitled and asked for all kinds of extra things (trying to get his money's worth) and then he dinged us stars on value. We should have canceled him the second he booked. Lesson learned and now we know to block these folks from booking.

@Todd-and-Reese0

Couldn't agree more

Tom-and-Carina0
Level 6
North Las Vegas, NV

I have had several  request  discounts  as well and do not believe  these requests  necessarily  mean they will be bad guests. In the USA it is not normally  standard  to ask for discounts or haggling  but some do for other  reason's some mentioned  in other commitments.  We have chosen  to not generally accepted  request's from negotiateors, more to discourge the practice  on the platform than any trouble  from guests who ask for them. We have hosted afterward request   several  times with no trouble.  We have given a military  discount's and done so with great results.  This is only one example  of why someone  would feel entitled to a discount.  As well as some  culture  or deal seekers. I think it should be considered  how one takes the rejection  more than the fact they asked for one before  deciding  to host. I have had people  ask for free days on busy weekends. I am shocked  by people  but not offended.  

I think there are two methods of dealing with this, set your prices to alow for a discount when needed, does not really matter why you give one, Military, AARP, AAA or even AA.

Or have set prices.

David
Air-Plus-Concierge0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I say NO! That simple!

@Air-Plus-Concierge0  Saying no is not enough. I really do not want guests that feel they should get a discount because my price is too high. Those kind of people will not value my listing. I make sure that my price is very competative and I constantly check to see what the prices are in my area for similar accommodation, so I know that my prices are very fair. I also have a 5 star rating for value but that still does not discourage people asking for a discount! So, not only "No", but also "No, I will not accommodate you".

@Monica4 your listing is sweet.what   incredible history.

I only give a discount on returning guests who were easy to host.

When I want a break from hosting, I just put the price to 5 hundred a night. 

funny if I could get a guest to pay!

Darren6
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I once had a discount hunter, who to her credit deserved a discount due to a long stay, however once we agreed a price she did not stop complaining about all and sundry .. and as I have hosted for years prior to this guest  and since this experience  > I realise this guest was just a chancer who takes advantage ... some of the stories she came up with were laughable.

e.g. " my husband needed to fly to singapore to be treated for the dust he inhaled" and " there was an insect in my room in asia"

anyway I do support perhaps a request for a deal if the length of stay is 10 days or eve 14 days or more.

regards

@Darren6   long term guests become the "guest who never left."

I had to put a limit on the length of days one can book.

So I won't go bonkers.

John915
Level 3
New York, United States

As some have mentioned, this may just be cultural: it is normal practice in some places to bargain.

I offer a weekly amd monthly discount (less turnover means less time cleaning and preparing the space) and I've been open to discounts if someone is in transit and just needs a few hours to sleep (ie I won't charge a cleaning fee if you just need somewhere safe to leave luggage and nap for a few hours). 

Aside from that, I suggest nearby cheap hotels which are much more expensive. That usually ends the converaation. Don't take discount/negotiation requests personally: it may be a cultural thing depending on your guest and what's normal in their home country may not fly in Canada

@Monica4 - we've been seeing an upswing in ratings to 4 stars for Value.   5 stars for everything else and glowing review, but value - 4 stars.  I'm sorry but I'm not lowering my price because you want what I offer for less.  If the overall experience is 5 stars, then how is the value a 4?  What did we miss that justifies this? People want more for less, well if you want to pay less, you get what you paid for... I'm priced cheaper than the closest Days Inn and they are 2 miles out from downtown.  My lowest Smart Pricing price is $40, $15 for cleaning, Airbnb fees, plus taxes and occupancy - those last three I have no control.  The Days Inn - $60/night plus taxes and occupancy.  

Kajsa2
Level 2
Sigtuna, Sweden

I have only had 1request (or rather a question) about discount. This was a single mother who wanted to know what the price for 1 extra person was since she brought a 9 year old child. Being new to this it took me a while to figure out how to send her a special price, and I lowered the price for the child to half the price I ask for an adult, which only seems fair. Having been a single mother myself maybe I could see her point of view quite clearly 🙂