My first negative experience - Communication

Michelle140
Level 5
Palmyra, VA

My first negative experience - Communication

This is my 9th guest coming tonight (it's 9:40pm), and it's the first time I've felt some dread. She's booked my room (not the whole house) for a lengthy 33 days, which is a long time to be stuck with a housemate you don't get along with. I don't think she knows what airbnb is supposed to be. Her first message indicated that she preferred to be left alone unless someone is bleeding or the house is on fire (literally said that). I tried to ask her this afternoon around when she expected to check-in and all she said was it could be anywhere from 6pm to 6am. I responded to keep me updated, as communication is a part of airbnb. I have not heard anything, and like I said, it's now almost 10pm, and I have ZERO clue what time she will be arriving. I just don't feel right about the whole thing. Part of me just wants to get things started and if she wants zero interaction with me, then all the easier that money is to make, but at the same time, this is not why I started on airbnb. I don't mind some (short term) guests being zero interaction, but I enjoy sharing stories and meeting people from all over, and over a month sharing my home with an enigma of a person doesn't sound like fun. Sigh. At this point, if nothing else, I think I'm going to write my first negative review =( Is there any advice? I'm afraid to confront her, in fear of retaliation while I'm not at the house, but I'm not happy...

165 Replies 165

Given that the review period is over, you have no reason to further respond to resolution center demands.. 

Just say no... you got all I'm giving.. do better next time.

Meanwhile, this is a valuable learning lesson for you.

I have a keyless entry system and guests can checkin whenver they want.  I like to generally know when they're coming but mostly just so I know how late the room can be cleaned --if I wont be around to personally greet them I let them know about a couple quirks of the house which I would otherwise explain in a checkin walk-through.

I've had guests who were here for 10 days and I never saw them.. Not once.. they were up and out before I woke up and either got in and went to bed before i got home or after I went to bed.

Everyone was happy.  

I've also had guests who want to start each day telling me their days plans then recap the day that evening.  If i've got the time and energy I indulge them.   I also advise them of where I think their plan might go wrong or what they might want to add.   

The hard part, for me, was learning how to disengage from a chatty guest.   I'll be nice and listen, but I really dont care about your third cousins little league softball game.  

As for resolutions.. sometimes it's worth paying to be rid of someone and free up the room.  I've not yet had a guest leave mid stay because they wanted to be somewhere else, but I've had guests who wanted to cancel a day before or day of their booking.. My answer is usually the same... "if I can rebook the room I'll give you a partial refund".   
I had one guy check back after a few days to see how things went.  some of his booked nights were re-booked and I refunded a portion back to him.  He was happy.

Keith