My list of everything that could upset guests

Tim209
Level 7
Honolulu, HI

My list of everything that could upset guests

Alright, here’s my list of everything that could upset guests. What did I miss?

1. The property was not as described

2. Uncomfortable beds/sheets/pillows

3. Noisy (A/C unit, road noise, refrigerator, neighbors) lead to poor sleeping conditions

4. Guests run out of stuff – toilet paper / paper towel / etc.

5. Expected items are not there like tv or internet

6. Things that don’t work such as an advertised hot tub

7. Couldn’t access property

8. Worn out stuff

9. No instructions about what to do with trash

10. Insufficient outdoor seating – guests don’t want to carry the sofa outside

11. Construction noise or inconvenience

12. Neighbor issues

13. Poor communications with the host – either before, after, or during – “there was a major problem during my stay and the owner didn’t answer my calls”

14. Terrible or no WiFi

15. Vacation rental location deception

16. Too many rules

17. Lack of privacy

18. No refund with no explanation

19. And my personal favorite - no plunger

Tim
TurnoverBnB

67 Replies 67
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Huma

Maybe they were colour blind...

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

What colour does it look like after dark?

Guests coming for the weekend after work often arrive after dark. Final approach is single track road under trees and then a curving drive way. Easy to find if you believe the instructions 

I was seriously marked down because the sheets on the bed were not the same color as they were in the listing photo. Guest feedback:  accuracy 1-star -  images are photoshopped !  The guests told me they were color experts.  Sometimes you just have to laugh or you'll start beating your head against the wall.

Charlie148
Level 2
Sayulita, Mexico

Everyone wants to be a 5-star host.  It's a point of personal pride to provide the guest an experience that warrants 5 stars.  Unfortunately, as mentioned above there are a litany of real and some not so real reasons why guests don't give 5 stars when we feel it is warranted.  I received a 4 star review once because a guest said that they never give 5 stars.  Please add that to the list.  What I am starting to understand is that maybe the AirBnB algorithm that determines your listing's place on the search may have less to do with reviews than one would think.  AirBnB is very vague on specifics regarding the reviews versus rankings.  Also I am starting to think that AirBnB's clientele is rapidly changing.  The new clients want more a hotel type atmosphere at a better price.  AirBnB is reinforcing this behavior with new requirements and Instant Booking.  

Jan209
Level 6
North Maleny, Australia

HI Charlie, 

you make a very good point, re Guests wanting a hotel type atmosphere, at a better price. 

I find that the Guests (and I call them that, not clientele) who are the worst are older , who have used motels all their lives. Apparently their friends say "oh no, use Airbnb they are so cheap" so they bring their Motel mentality with them. 

I have worked really hard to be a Superhost, and have many great reviews, am now on permanent Superhost (i think unless I start cancelling bookings.) so  now I plan to change my instant Booking, to only include people who have previous recommendations by other Hosts, the rest will have to apply by message. 

I know Airbnb prefer that we accept all instant Bookings but bascially if we all limit instant bookings to Guests who are recommended by other HOsts, then it will be better for Hosts.  And Guests will learn that a bad review means they will not get to stay at our Homes. 

And it IS our Homes they are staying in. 

I am sure that Airbnb want their reputation to remain good, with  Happy Hosts and happy Guests! 

And if potential GUests are demanding and entitled, (i had one request, last night from potential Guest, who then booked before I could even answer her long, long, list of demands) who said they wanted to park in my driveway as her Husband was 'nervous of parking in street, and how far would they have to walk to Unit as they "are elderly, but not  infirm" ) then I describe honestly, how it probably wouldn't suit them.

So then their choice, not mine to refuse or cancel them!   

For these potential Guests, I told them it is a narrowish street, and that sometimes since there is an Airbnb right next door, they would have to park about 4 houses down, in street, to find a suitable car space for their large station wagon.  I also told them that as its an old house (albeit the Unit is modern) that the path is comprised of cement slabs that while in good, safe condition, the slabs are not all completely level with one another.   They cancelled, leaving me with no problem Guests!   Yay! 

I believe that there are some Guests who really should stay in Motels, not AIrbnb. 

Her reply was very rude, so I suggested that she read  Airbnb description of Ethos and responsibilities of Guests and Hosts.  I also told her that I felt upset that her reply was rude disrespectful, which wasn't in keeping with the Ethos of Airbnb.  Then I blocked her so she can't contact me any more. 

Wishing you lovely, appreciative Guests! 

And if you are ever in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, you are very welcome here.

I have hosted Guests from Colombia, but not, so far Guests from Mexico! ...let me know you are an AIrbnb Host and I will make sure you get a discount! 

Warm Regards,

JAn

Hi @Jan209Jan,

i have my settings at exactly that instant book setting “recommended.” I have very few prohibitions against welcoming new Airbnb customers- a simple polite message along with the reason for their travel and I’m quick to accept along with a reminder for them to review my house rules to make sure they work for them, Unless there’s a reason your request raised a flag I have no problem giving people new to Airbnb a chance.

guests who have stayed elsewhere but can not use instant book in those cases I’m more careful and thoughtful before accepting. It’s been working great for me, I highly recommend it- if you have 4 stars and  been given the ominous thumbs down - I’m not in any mood to experiment with the judgement of previous hosts which for the most part are very accurate when they disapprove. The few issues I’ve had have mostly been guests with less than 5 stars that were unable to instant book and sent a request.

often you’ll find these guests try to be savvy and ask a harmless question hoping for a quick preapproval. If you get a request or an inquiry and you’re unsure - just do what I do “Hi Debbie! Thank you for your request/inquiry please feel free to click the instant book button and make your reservation if my home is where you’d like to stay. 

If they reply that that do not have an instant book option - that answers your question and you can either follow up as to why or simply decline. 

Jan209
Level 6
North Maleny, Australia

Thanks Ephraim, that's a good idea, I will do that in future, will just tell them to click instant book etc.  Good tip! 

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

We got 4*   for amenities because our place was smaller than they imagined. Not small.

Sorry it was not the size of the Royal Apartments at Windsor Castle. Others have pointed out that the place was bigger than their first London flat 

Karolina27
Level 2
Paris, France

One of my guests wrote a message at 8 in the morning saying that they are searching for bread but they can't find it... 

To make it clear - I haven't marked that I provide breakfast. Still, for every guest I leave coffee, tea and some cookies. 

Didn't even know how to answer kindly that there is no bread and I never spoke about providing bread... 

Overall, got 4 stars for accuracy and the guest mentioned in the comments that there was no bread.

Obviously, I got a bread fan staying at my home... 

I like ice cream... and only Hagen Daz... chocolate chocolate chip! I hope for your sake it’s in the freezer when I arrive. 

Phish food flavor for me please

Jan209
Level 6
North Maleny, Australia

haha!   Yes make sure you remind me of  this if ever you stay here in Brisbane, Australia!  In fact we have ever more delicious icecream here, I will make a special trip to get some!! 

Thanks @Jan209! gonna hold you to it- if it’s not as delicious as you say- well I don’t think I have to tell you about how I’ll be rating accuracy. 

Jan209
Level 6
North Maleny, Australia

in that case I will provide you with 6 different brands! lol

@Jan209

Ephraim’s review: 

Jans Place is beautiful! and the area was absolutely lovely. Which is why it is so difficult for me to write this review and provide one star (which is one star at to many in my opinion) Normally I never give less than 5 stars only in this case I feel obligated to warn future guests. Jan was made well aware of my favorite brand and flavor ice cream which i clearly communicated to her prior to arrival. Jan however insisted that the ice cream from Brisbane would be even more delicious than the one I requested. I’m a naive person and I generally assume people are well intentioned- but not in this case! Jan pulled a fast one - the ice cream was not nearly as delicious as she assured me it would be. I can not recommend anyone especially ice cream lovers stay at her place”