Non-staying guest wanting to blackmail with negative review if not getting refund

Jorge260
Level 2
Funchal, Portugal

Non-staying guest wanting to blackmail with negative review if not getting refund

Does anybody know the policy regarding guests who can still write reviews even if they do not stay at the villa? They want to cancel their reservation but cannot be refunded because they are in the "no-refundable" time a little before they arrive. Which is devastating for us as we are on an island and we do not have flights to substitute their reservations just like that.... They say if we don't refund they will not cancel and leave it as "occupied". But they are also threatening to write a negative review (even if they had not stayed at the villa).

I am not worried that it remains "occupied" or "unavailable". I am concerned that this type of situation opens up the possibility for review fraud...

What do you think?

15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stacey268  Yes, there are definitely cases where the guest arrives to find a property not as advertised, dirty, or otherwise unacceptable. Cancelling right away and applying for a refund, which you did is the correct way to handle it. And I think in such a circumstance, a guest should be able to leave a review to warn other prospective guests, and it's a good idea to do so.

But offering to not leave a review, or to leave  good one in exchange for a refund, is considered to be extortion, no matter what.