Pricing

Pricing

Eve-Marie recently wrote in a post :   "I'm also not very keen on the idea the guest's final price is not disclosed to us when they book, in plain sight. It is often much more than what we are seeing, and it feels deceitful. "

I am completely in agreement.

At times, a wanna-be guest will write to me and ask me to "confirm the price". Obviously fishing for a discount.    But I have NO BLINKING IDEA what price airbnb has quoted them because the system does NOT show me that.        The only way is to log out of my personal airbnb profile, browse the site as if I was a guest looking for a place, eventually find my place (thanks to these muh talked about algorythms), to see what price the guest has been quoted online - and then get back to them.

This is CUMBERSOME and AWKWARD.

Come on Airbnb, you can do better than this type of subterfuge !

6 Replies 6
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@John878 I am aware that airbnb does not show the total price with taxes and fees when the guest is looking around. However, once the guest decides that they want to book your place, s/he will see the breakdown on how much the room/place costs, taxes, and any other fees and the subtotal. So, technically, there is no 'surprises' and the price breakdown is very clear.

Note: I am not only hosting with Airbnb, I am also using it as a guest.

All well and good Farah, but you don't get my point.

IF a wannabe guest asks me whether the price  s'he sees is correct (aka is looking for a discount) I need to know the starting point, that is, WHAT price s/he has been quoted, and that is what I CANNOT SEE. 

So the system is duff, it doesn't work at it should. It's not transparent.  And that was Eve-Marie's and my point.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

Every host can see what a guest has to pay or is to be offered.

Most easy way is from the calender of your listing: select the dates, choose at right side of screen "what do guest pay" and pop-up screen shows price, discounts and servicecosts guest has to pay (so totalprice for guest)

Loging out from the system is not nessecary, simply view the example of your listing when managing it. From there you can simulate a booking to check prices. Also good faciliy to check if everything is set well to your wishes, it sometimes showes me (pricing)errors i did overlook in managing the listing.

Furthermore:

Every listing has his own direct link, so also not nessecary to dig into the travellers section to find your own listing.

For your convenience, yours is (taken from your profile):

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9748696

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Bravo Emiel, THANKS !

You just taught me something about airbnb I didn't know about.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello  @John878,

If you go to your calendar there should be a "Price calculator" box on the right saying "See what guests pay".

Inexplicably, you can't select the dates of an existing reservation. You'll have to select an equivalent date range where each night has the same price as the guest's nights. Hence it's really only useful for hosts who don't use smart pricing and have the same price for most days.

Why it doesn't allow you to select the dates for an existing reservation I've no idea. To me, that would be the obvious and most common use of this feature. Perhaps they, entirely inappropriately, use the same software for this function as for the selection of dates when making a reservation.

Steve.

Bravo Steve, THANKS !

You and Emiel just taught me something about airbnb I didn't know.