Reassert House Rules in Message

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Reassert House Rules in Message

Does anyone reassert their house rules in your check in message? We send a check in message with the keypad entry code and specific instructions on parking, etc. since we're not at the property. We also include the house rules but I'm wondering if it's too much for guests? I hate to hit them over the head with the rules but we want to make sure our expectations are clear. Any thoughts?

1 Reply 1
Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Hello @Traci1,

Many hosts do this, also, you have to consider that upon booking the guests actually receive these as part of the confirmation e-mail. Nevertheless, especially in your case that you're not actually there, it is best if you do. If you feel the rules are too long then maybe make sure there's a visible hard copy of the rules in the house and on the e-mail you send out make sure you mention the highlights such as:

Please check-out before 1 PM as the cleaning crew will be there at that time.

Please remember that there's no smoking inside or around the house, bla bla bla...

Usually exactly a week before arrival I message the guests making sure they know:

a) How to get from the airport to our home

b) Remind them the check-in / check-out time

c) (If they're new) Ask them if they have any questions or concerns about staying in someone's home instead of a hotel and the differences.

Also, after reading a interesting thread of another host noticing that guests are not aware you are reviewing them I add:

d) Please consider that at the end of your stay you will be reviewed on communication, cleanliness and following the house rules; please, if you have any concerns or questions about these rules feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

Hope this helps! 🙂