Retaliatory ratings

Lidia43
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Retaliatory ratings

Hi! We're somewhat new to Airbnb and just had our first group of truly terrible guests: they trashed my place and when I made a claim against the security deposit, they promptly delivered 1* ratings across the board- for an apartment that had previously 5*  and we had superhost status. I have called Airbnb and they've told me the guest review is perfectly valid and asked me why didn't I wait to make the claim until after the review period has ended. However, based on my understanding I had to submit my claim before the next guest checked in... So now I'm left with a 1* review and no compensation 😞 Does anyone else have this happen and is there anything else I can do?

The guests (from China/speaking very limited English) instant booked the place for 3 nights. After they left we found the living room and kitchen full of flies and the coffee table in the living room badly damaged from a mix of wine, liquor and minced meat that was placed directly on the wood (despite providing plenty of coasters and plates). Also the sofa bed ( less than 3 months old) had a dark red stain that so far proved impossible to remove. So the deposit claim was not for a trivial matter or just a bit of mess... Would greatly appreciate your views!

17 Replies 17

to (think*) with

KandT0
Level 10
Tokyo, Japan

Too often we are hosting guests who arrive with additional pax not included in their reservation and for whom we have not been paid. Sometimes this is deliberate and sometimes unintentional.

Bringing additional guests to our home without agreement in advance is in breach of our house rules.

We then have to request additional payment from these guests.

Often we then receive from these guests feedback or star ratings that does damage to our overall rating and possibly our Superhost status. This is retaliatory feedback by these guests.

When it can be demonstrated that guests are dishonest or have broken hosts' rules, we should be able to have their feedback and ratings stricken from our record.

It needs fixing.

Anthony218
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Aboslutely K&T!!
I couldn't agree more. 
I'm having this same problem again. Guest left stains on all the sheets, duvet and the carpet. I've had to throw away all the linens. Not sure yet about the carpet, need to shampoo it when I don't have guests coming straight in 3 hours after the previous guest.

What can you do? If you put in a claim, the guest will give you bad feedback and destroy your rating (I'm about to get Superhost status in a few days). If you don't, you lose out on the cost of the damage...

AirBnB must know how bad this is for hosts? 

When a claim is made, all reviews should be negated and not posted until the process is finished and a decision is made. If the guest is liable for damage, they should not be allowed to review.