Need advice about expensive stained sheets.

Adriana253
Level 2
Miami, FL

Need advice about expensive stained sheets.

I have a situation with my current guest.

The day before she arrived I installed a brand new washing machine in the apt.

On Wednesday she put some things inside the machine to wash and apparently something got stuck and the door wouldn't open. Among those things was a garment she needed because she went under surgery on Tuesday (I think liposuction).

I called the repair center and they couldn't do the service until Friday, so Thursday I went to her doctor's office and got a brand new garment for her and anti embolic socks (around USD$170), because she told me was in pain and had some inflammation because of the surgery, and I was worried about her.

On Friday I hired a laundry service to pick up her things but the never did. I went to pick up the laundry my self and she told me she couldn't move well so I went upstairs to help her, actually she was leaving so I stayed and took the dirty sheets and made the bed for her, to my surprise my Errebicasa sheets and towels (very expensive ones which is a perk I advertise in my listing) where stained with blood and some kind of yellow fluid. What should I do?

4 Replies 4
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

You may be able to remove the blood with just plain cold water, If not hdrogen peroxide also removes proteins like blood. Check a hidden spot if the sheets are colored, it may bleach the spot as well. The yellow stain may be betadine, used to clean the skin for surgery. A quick Google search turns up that flushing it with cold water and using hydrogen peroxide should work for that as well. You might also visit the website of the sheet company for their advice on stains. Good Luck!

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Adriana253 I have gotten blood out from recently stained sheets using baking soda mixed with water to a paste and then rubbed and rinsed. Sometimes it takes a few rubs. Works great. 

You could also ask the guest to buy you new sheets. 

Steven614
Level 4
West Palm Beach, FL

Personally I would charge for damaged linens. I tend to buy sets at Macy’s on sale for about $30 for a comforter and sheet set but you can also get a better quality sheet set without the comforter around the same price on sale sometimes.  

Towels I get for a few dollars apiece and I’ll charge for stained towels or stolen towels. After having a 72 pack of alka seltzer plus, a creme brûlée torch, a towel and several other small things taken by air bNB guests I’m now beginning to nickel and dime them right back when I see something disappear.   

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

Given your location, I’d be tempted to add a rule saying you are unable to host post surgery guests.

i know Miami is plastic surgery hotspot. This could be a niche market for people who are willing and able to provide  post surgery housing and care, but with a premium price.

i have read similar stories from other Miami hosts. I think people underestimate how difficult it will be caring for themselves after surgery.

it is not something I would personally want to deal with, but if I did, I’d go out and buy a big box of those disposable  bed pads hospitals use. Think they are called chucks.